[comp.protocols.nfs] Ask for nfs on sco xenix

gerardo@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. Gerardo J. Oliva) (04/27/91)

Hello everyone ..
i just want to know if exists NFS for SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on 386's
i posted an article on sco board but have no response ..
i know that exists TCP/IP for SCO Xenix but does NFS
works or exists ?
Any experiences? hints? suggestions?

Tahnks a lot
Any Comment will be apreciated

Regards
Gerardo Oliva
Internet: gerardo@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (04/28/91)

gerardo@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. Gerardo J. Oliva) writes:
>i just want to know if exists NFS for SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on 386's
>i know that exists TCP/IP for SCO Xenix but does NFS works or exists ?
>Any experiences? hints? suggestions?

I use SCO NFS at my site.  It was apparently released only a short time
ago and is still version 1.0.  As I understand it, NFS is only supported
for SCO Unix 3.2 and later; they do not support it under Xenix.  In any
event, SCO is phasing out Xenix; I don't think they sell it any more.
All Xenix applications are supported by the Unix package they now sell;
they spent a fair amount of time and money merging their Xenix and System
V products to come up with the combined, compatible product.

My suggestion is therefore to upgrade to Unix 3.2.2 and get NFS.  Ask
your SCO distributor if there's a deal he can give you on the upgrade;
I have no idea what their policy is.  Though I do know the company would
love to stop supporting Xenix ASAP.

-rich

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (04/30/91)

In article <7425@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> you write:
>gerardo@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. Gerardo J. Oliva) writes:
>>i just want to know if exists NFS for SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on 386's
>>i know that exists TCP/IP for SCO Xenix but does NFS works or exists ?
>>Any experiences? hints? suggestions?
>
>I use SCO NFS at my site.  It was apparently released only a short time
>ago and is still version 1.0.  As I understand it, NFS is only supported
>for SCO Unix 3.2 and later; they do not support it under Xenix.  In any
>event, SCO is phasing out Xenix; I don't think they sell it any more.
>All Xenix applications are supported by the Unix package they now sell;
>they spent a fair amount of time and money merging their Xenix and System
>V products to come up with the combined, compatible product.

If this is true, how come my Interactive Systems 2.2 fully supports
Xenix binaries?  I think you will find that AT&T worked with SCO to
merge the 2 products, not just SCO.

>My suggestion is therefore to upgrade to Unix 3.2.2 and get NFS.  Ask
>your SCO distributor if there's a deal he can give you on the upgrade;
>I have no idea what their policy is.  Though I do know the company would
>love to stop supporting Xenix ASAP.
>
>-rich

Again I ask, how come a new version was just announced?

Jim
--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com