[comp.protocols.nfs] Replacing Novell Netware with NFS

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) (04/30/91)

Does anyone have any info on the company with the best licensing policy
for PC-NFS?  I'm trying to replace Novell Netware by "hiding" unix
boxes as PC network servers - however, the cost advantage I thought
was there is not with PC-NFS costing $205.00 per PC.  Any public
domain implementations would be great - the product only has to be
able to make a Unix directory appear as a virtual dos drive (E: or
whatever) and do dos print services through the Unix box.
Caveat:  These people don't want to ever see Unix...(except the system
administrator) - just DOS and they want a cost advantage (or I want
to prove that there IS a cost/performance advantage).

Please mail any responses and I will post a summary.

Thank you in advance.

-Nathan Lane
Digital Technology Service
Santa Barbara, CA
nlane@well.sf.ca.us

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (05/01/91)

In article <24496@well.sf.ca.us> nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) writes:

>Does anyone have any info on the company with the best licensing policy
>for PC-NFS?  I'm trying to replace Novell Netware by "hiding" unix
>boxes as PC network servers - however, the cost advantage I thought
>was there is not with PC-NFS costing $205.00 per PC.  Any public
>domain implementations would be great - the product only has to be
>able to make a Unix directory appear as a virtual dos drive (E: or
>whatever) and do dos print services through the Unix box.
>Caveat:  These people don't want to ever see Unix...(except the system
>administrator) - just DOS and they want a cost advantage (or I want
>to prove that there IS a cost/performance advantage).

Beame & Whiteside has a very cheap product.

	416 648 6556

And when the day is done, administering a Unix server is far, far
easier than administering a Novell server.  You have to learn
something to get both going, but Unix admin software is way too
classy.  With Novell you're hooked to their user-friendly tools.
With Unix you can say things like

	find . `awk '{ }'` -exec

etc.

	-ans.

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                             The more things change, the more they stay insane.

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (05/01/91)

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) writes:
>.. PC-NFS costing $205.00 per PC.  Any public
>domain implementations would be great - the product only has to be
>able to make a Unix directory appear as a virtual dos drive (E: or
>whatever) and do dos print services through the Unix box.

(Sorry for posting rather than e-mailing, as requested...)  There isn't
any public-domain client implementation yet, but my guess is it would take
less than 3 person-months of work to create one using SOSS as a base.  If
you're working for a company with a large number of DOS machines, you
might be able to get the time budgeted to do this work, and the glory
which comes from having a *lot* of other companies/individuals using it.

Anyone out there who would like to take on this project?  It basically
involves creating a TSR which intercepts software interrupts, redirecting
a drive letter's I/O to the already-implemented SOSS network code.

-rich

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (05/01/91)

Quoth rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (in <7447@spdcc.SPDCC.COM>):
#
#Anyone out there who would like to take on this project?  It basically
#involves creating a TSR which intercepts software interrupts, redirecting
#a drive letter's I/O to the already-implemented SOSS network code.

Hmmm... I think that if you ask any of the groups that have actually
built such a beast (Sun, FTP, B&W, etc.) they'd say that your estimates
of the time and complexity seem a little optimistic :-) Yes, I know
"Undocumented DOS" answers many of the questions, but not all...

However, don't let me deter you!

Geoff

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
--     Sun Microsystems PC Distributed Systems ...                          --
--            ... soon to be a part of SunTech (stay tuned for details)     --

In article <5847@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:

   Hmmm... I think that if you ask any of the groups that have actually
   built such a beast (Sun, FTP, B&W, etc.) they'd say that your estimates
   of the time and complexity seem a little optimistic :-) Yes, I know
   "Undocumented DOS" answers many of the questions, but not all...

On the other hand, a free one could be written to a single version of DOS,
whereas the commercial versions don't have that luxury.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

stan@cs.uiuc.edu (Seemong Tan) (05/02/91)

In article <5847@eastapps.East.Sun.COM>, geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
|> Quoth rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (in <7447@spdcc.SPDCC.COM>):
|>   There isn't
|> #any public-domain client implementation yet, but my guess is it would take
|> #less than 3 person-months of work to create one using SOSS as a base.
|>
|> Hmmm... I think that if you ask any of the groups that have actually
|> built such a beast (Sun, FTP, B&W, etc.) they'd say that your estimates
|> of the time and complexity seem a little optimistic :-)

So I guess putting an undergrad on it as a summer project would be
out of the question then... rats :-).

|> -- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)

stan

lwj@cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) (05/03/91)

In <NELSON.91May1124643@sun.clarkson.edu> nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:

>In article <5847@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:

>   Hmmm... I think that if you ask any of the groups that have actually
>   built such a beast (Sun, FTP, B&W, etc.) they'd say that your estimates
>   of the time and complexity seem a little optimistic :-) Yes, I know
>   "Undocumented DOS" answers many of the questions, but not all...

>On the other hand, a free one could be written to a single version of DOS,
>whereas the commercial versions don't have that luxury.

From _advent.txt in the latest version of the MSDOS Interrupt List:

@ Ever wanted the full scoop on undocumented MSDOS calls?  Run to your
@ favorite bookstore and ask for
@
@      Undocumented DOS:
@        A Programmer's Guide to Reserved MS-DOS Functions and Data Structures
@      Andrew Schulman, Raymond J. Michels, Jim Kyle, Tim Paterson, David
@        Maxey, and Ralf Brown
@
@      694+xviii pages, 7-3/8" x 9-1/8"
@      Addison-Wesley
@      ISBN 0-201-57064-5
@      $39.95 (book and two 5.25" disks)
@
@ Don't buy it for the Appendix derived from the Interrupt List, buy it for a
@ full hypertext version of INTER490, a script-based interrupt monitoring
@ utility, source for a sample network redirector, discussions of
@ TSRs/multitasking/networks/installable file systems/debugging, lots of
@ examples, etc.

This book is supposed to be available within a few months, so...

--
Luc Rooijakkers                                 Internet: lwj@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science     UUCP: uunet!cs.kun.nl!lwj