[comp.protocols.nfs] rpc.lockd

lamy@sobeco.com (j.lamy) (05/06/91)

kdenning@genesis.Naitc.Com (Karl Denninger) writes:
>I have the MIPS "fixed" rpc.lockd.
>
>They have a HUGE memory leak in them which makes the process grow until it
>consumes all available physical memory.
>Last time I killed it, the process had more than 4,000 pages checked out!
>
>Try again please.

Neither the RISC/os 4.51 rpc.lockd or the 4.52 rpc.lockd will interoperate
properly with SCO Unix, Dell SVR4 or UHC SVR4 NFS implementations.  The first
one is a killer, as it interferes with using things like UNIX versions of
WordPerfect and Lotus (which don't ship on RISC/os) with files mounted across
NFS.  WordPerfect release notes even devote 2 pages on the topic (the problem
is not specific to RISC/os, as Suns used to exhibit much the same behaviour
among themselves).

In fact, some PC-NFS implementors apparently have such a high opinion of
rpc.lockd that they ship a combination authentication/locking daemon. Beame
and Whitesides apparently does this; Intercon's technical support (they do an
NFS for Macs) recommended configuring their product to use the B&W bwnfsd
for servers to work around rpc.lockd brain damage.

NFS: Not a File System? Heaven help us, but maybe it'll end up meaning
Novell For Sure if nothing is done about it... PC and Mac AFS anyone?

Jean-Francois Lamy         lamy@sobeco.com, lamy@sobeco.ca, uunet!sobeco!lamy
Research and Development, Sobeco Technical Services, Montreal, Canada H2Z 1Y7