[comp.protocols.nfs] PC-NFS : multiple groups & YP

r_hockey@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (05/10/91)

Can anyone help me I am running PC-NFS 3.0.1 and would like to be able to have
group access to files on the server while belonging to more than 1 group
without running Yellow Pages from the PC.
The reason being that I have an application which hangs the PC when YP are
running, but I also belong to more than one group which I occassionly need
to access files files from.
The only solution I have come up with so far is to have an option in my
autoexec.bat to run two alternative network.bats, one with and one without
YPs.

Richard Hockey
Public Health
UDM
University of Western Australia
NEDLANDS WA 6009
email: R_HOCKEY@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au

jeffw@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Jeffrey H. West) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May10.084752.3269@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au> r_hockey@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
>Can anyone help me I am running PC-NFS 3.0.1 and would like to be able to have
>group access to files on the server while belonging to more than 1 group
>without running Yellow Pages from the PC.
>The reason being that I have an application which hangs the PC when YP are
>running, but I also belong to more than one group which I occassionly need
>to access files files from.
>The only solution I have come up with so far is to have an option in my
>autoexec.bat to run two alternative network.bats, one with and one without
>YPs.

There are two possible solutions that I have come across for this
situation...

1) Install the PC-NFS 3.0.1a patch (adequate solution)

2) Upgrade to PC-NFS 3.5 (much better solution).

I had a similar problem when I first mounted a SPARC 330 running SunOS 4.0.3.
I more recently had a problem with mounting a Sun3 (SunOS 3.5) which was
binding to a SPARC (SunOS 4.1.1) for NIS.

The 330 problem was solved with the patch.  The 4.1.1 problem was solved with
the patch but more problems developed.  The upgrade took care of everything.

#           Jeffrey H. West                   #
#     email: jeffw@ddsw1.MCS.COM              #