[comp.protocols.nfs] XCOPY - PCNFS

lbsrdrt@cc.brunel.ac.uk (David Thomas) (05/14/91)

Is XCOPY supposed to work both ways when used from PC to Unix file
server ?

I've succeeded in XCOPYing to a PC Disk from a Unix file server, but
not the other way around.

David Thomas
Brunel University Library
Uxbridge
Middlesex
UK

david.thomas@brunel.ac.uk (JANET)

doug@psy.uwa.oz.au (Doug Robb) (05/20/91)

lbsrdrt@cc.brunel.ac.uk (David Thomas) writes:

>Is XCOPY supposed to work both ways when used from PC to Unix file
>server ?

>I've succeeded in XCOPYing to a PC Disk from a Unix file server, but
>not the other way around.

Yes xcopy does work both ways. If you can't xcopy from a pc hard disk
to a unix server I'll bet your umask is wrong! Make sure you
set 'net umask 022' (on the pc) or something sensible (rwxr_xr_x).
If the 'execute' bit (x) is not set then xcopy can't
cd into any subdirectories and so the copy fails.
Copy on the other hand doesn't need to create and directories
so you are never aware of a crummy umask.
To check this either do a net umask and it will tell you
the current umask or try it yourself.
cd e:		(or whatever drive is the server disk)
md test		(or any name you think of, must have write perm on e:)
cd test
If your umask is such that the execute bit of the file it created
is not set then the cd will fail.
ls -l test   (file should be rwx or whatever and not rw-rw-rw etc)

cheers doug@psy.uwa.oz.au