[comp.protocols.nfs] PC-NFS SVR4 wish list

ado@elsie.nci.nih.gov (Arthur David Olson) (05/22/91)

Here's my wish list for the next version of PC-NFS; what do other
folks want?

1.  Provide a way to change the printer timeout without having to reboot
    the PC.

2.  Have more commands recognize the $NISSERVER construct, in particular
	rdate $NISSERVER
    and
	rsh $NISSERVER ...
    to make it easy to avoid hardcoding names of servers in startup
    batch files.

3.  Recognize a $NFSCLIENT (or similarly named) construct, so you can
	net mount ?: \\$NISSERVER\...\$NFSCLIENT\...
    and make startup batch files independent of the PC client they're
    being run on.

3.  Have net blip set errorlevel so batch files can determine whether blip is
    on or off.  Additionally (or alternately), have
	net blip
    produce either
	net blip on
    or
	net blip off
    as output, so that the output can be fed to command.com later.

4.  Either always turn the blip off during telnet, or provide a way of
    optionally doing so.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out
    that there's network activity when telnet is running, and the blip
    is distracting.

5.  In the QEMM-386-on-a-PS/2 section (Installation Guide, page 81),
    as long as the
	FRAME=NONE
    dodge is being used to increase available high memory on a system using
    a 3c523 board, explain the
	INCLUDE=C400-C5FF
    dodge as well (modulo there being no ROM on the 3c523 board).  This
    may apply to other memory managers as well.

6.  Treat a plain
	rsh hostname
    under PC-NFS as if it were "telnet hostname",
    akin to the way it turns into "rlogin hostname" under SunOS.
--
		Arthur David Olson	ado@elsie.nci.nih.gov
		ADO and Elsie are Ampex and Borden trademarks

tar@math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (05/22/91)

ado@elsie.nci.nih.gov (Arthur David Olson) writes:

>Here's my wish list for the next version of PC-NFS; what do other
>folks want?

1.  Allow multiple operations on the NET command line; that's a big program,
    and on floppy based or slow hard drive systems doing 4 or 5 NET operations
    eats up a lot of time just loading the darned thing into memory.

2.  Provide BSD group semantics on files, enabled by a switch to NET USE.

3.  chown and chgrp would be nice.

4.  Provide a statfs(2)-like function in the programmer's toolkit.

5.  How about NET USE /d/all  to unmount all PCNFS drives?

More to follow when I think of them.  :-)

--
Tim Ramsey/system administrator/tar@math.ksu.edu/(913) 532-6750/2-7004 (FAX)
Department of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506-2602

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (05/23/91)

[having only read about PC-NFS 3.5 I am on shakey ground, here]

I'd like to see PC-NFS able to handle multiple protocol stacks like
the Hughes NFS product, (ProLinc).  And PC-NFS should be redesigned to
unload iteslf on command so you don't have to reboot if you need the
memory and won't be needing network access.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com