[comp.protocols.nfs] Multiple NFS Peripheral Drives

cnar13@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (05/23/91)

    I'm running PCNFS on an Apricot Qi. The software would appear to
    provide the facility for mounting multiple peripheral drives.
    What I want to know is if there is any way of configuring NFS
    so that it recognises drives mounted on different hosts (or
    is it the case that only one NFS Daemon can be specified?)
    What I really want to do is mount diskspace from a Sun
    Sparcstation as drive E: and diskspace on an HP workstation
    as drive F:. No luck so far.

    Can anyone relieve me of my ignorance?

*     Stewart A.Gormley		The University of Strathclyde	    *
* aka Mr Angry			Dept of Electrical & Electronic Eng *
* 				Communications Division		    *
*				204, George St., Glasgow G1 1XW	    *
*     Telephone:		Scotland.			    *
*     041 552 4400 Ext 2377					    *
* 								    *
* JANET:       S.A.GORMLEY@uk.ac.strath.vaxa			    *
* Internet:    S.A.GORMLEY%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk     *
* EARN/BITNET: S.A.GORMLEY%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@UKACRL		    *
* 								    *
%								    %
%	If the facts don't conform to the theory they must be 	    %
%								    %
%			disposed of.				    %
%								    %

craick@titan.trl.OZ.AU (John Craick) (05/24/91)

cnar13@vaxa.strath.ac.uk writes:

>    I'm running PCNFS on an Apricot Qi. The software would appear to
>    provide the facility for mounting multiple peripheral drives.
>    What I want to know is if there is any way of configuring NFS
>    so that it recognises drives mounted on different hosts (or
>    is it the case that only one NFS Daemon can be specified?)
>    What I really want to do is mount diskspace from a Sun
>    Sparcstation as drive E: and diskspace on an HP workstation
>    as drive F:. No luck so far.

>    Can anyone relieve me of my ignorance?

There maybe reasons why this doesn't work in your particular
circumstances but, in principle, and as far as I'm concerned, in
practice, what you want to do is quite straightforward. You merely use
multiple "net use [diskid] [\\host\path] " statements to mount as many
disks as you want on as many different hosts as you want.

There might be problems if you have different user names or passwords on
the different hosts (as I do) but there are ways around that as well.

I have had no other problems using Sun's PC-NFS but I must say the
Beames & Whiteside NFS doesn't seem quite so co-operative. That may not
be their fault because I am asking B&W to interwork with Sun NFS
daemons, which mightn't be entirely fair.

John Craick

Telecom Research
Melbourne, oz

(j.craick@trl.oz.au)

jesse@rlgvax.Reston.ICL.COM (Jesse Barber) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May23.233849.17808@trl.oz.au> craick@titan.trl.OZ.AU (John Craick) writes:
>cnar13@vaxa.strath.ac.uk writes:
>

>>    What I want to know is if there is any way of configuring NFS
>>    so that it recognises drives mounted on different hosts (or
>>    is it the case that only one NFS Daemon can be specified?)
>

>There might be problems if you have different user names or passwords on
>the different hosts (as I do) but there are ways around that as well.

PCNFS does not have to be told about NFS daemons, only about PCNFS daemons,
which handle authetication, and some other odds and ends. PCNFS assumes that
there is one name space for the network, by assuming that the numeric user
id it gets from the net pcnfsd specified host is the same across the network.
Thus, for all mounted drives, it uses the same user id to determine
permissions. If you don't use the NIS (or yellow pages), this means that
the passwd file must be the same on each individual host for all users of
PCNFS. If this is not the case, you could see the problems the first
poster alluded to.
--
Jesse Barber
Work Addess      ICL North America, 11490 Commerce Park Drive, Reston, VA 22091