[comp.protocols.nfs] Problem w 3c503and SOSS

jpd@gordon.UUCP (Jim Drummey) (06/14/91)

We're trying to run soss.exe with the 3c503 packet driver. We've gone thru
 'custom netdev' and set the IP address numerous times. When soss runs
it exits with the error "PC IP address not known. Use BOOTP or CUSTOM to
set your IP address or contact your network administrator." When Custom
runs, it shows the proper address.

We've got netdev.sys in both the root and soss directories and have the
device=c:\netdev.sys line in config.sys. Anyone know what's wrong?
NCSA Telnet works fine.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Drummey
Access Technology, Inc.
Natick, MA                      !harvard!necntc!gordon!jpd

erick@sunee.waterloo.edu (Erick Engelke) (06/15/91)

In article <228@gordon.UUCP> jpd@gordon.UUCP (Jim Drummey) writes:
>We're trying to run soss.exe with the 3c503 packet driver. We've gone thru
> 'custom netdev' and set the IP address numerous times. When soss runs
>it exits with the error "PC IP address not known. Use BOOTP or CUSTOM to
>set your IP address or contact your network administrator." When Custom
>runs, it shows the proper address.

I too spent time with that problem.  Go into CUSTOM and set your subnet
bits to something like 8.  True, you may not have an 8 bit subnet, but
see if that gives you some progress.  The subnet mask should change to
255.255.255.0 from 255.255.255.255 and SOSS will at least be able to
find its IP address.

Erick
Erick Engelke					   Watstar Computer Networks
Network Developer				      University of Waterloo
Erick@Development.Watstar.UWaterloo.ca		    (519) 885-1211 Ext. 2965