[comp.protocols.nfs] PC backup using pc-nfs

igp@pleiades.mel.dbce.csiro.au (Ian Pearson) (06/13/91)

I am trying to backup my pc HD using Fifth Generation Systems backup
program Fastback Plus to a network drive using pc-nfs version 3.0.1
(Version 3.5 hasn't been delivered yet !!!).  The network drive is
mounted on a SGI Personal Iris 4D/35 running Irix release 3.3.2 and
nfs version 3.3.

We have several of these SGI workstations, and here is the strange part.
FB+ backs up my pc hd partition properly on one of my SGI machines, but
writes numerous files (volumes) of 10240 bytes on the others.  Let me make
that clear - works properly with a backup files size of 40 odd Mbytes on SGI
machine A, but creates numerous small files of 10240 bytes on SGI machine B.
Machine A and machine B are running the same version of Irix, nfs etc.  The
pc is the same in each case (therefore using the same version of msdos, pc-nfs
fastback plus etc.)  The configuration of each SGI machine is the same, I think.
I can't find or see any differences, anyway.

Has anybody got any ideas or leads as to where to look to be able to cure this
strange problem.  The SGI people here in Melbourne havn't been able to help me.

--
| Ian G. Pearson  Internet - igp@mel.dbce.csiro.au | ACSnet - igp@pleiades.oz |
| CSIRO    -   Div. Building, Construction & Eng   | Tel  +61 3 556 2466 (bh) |

jgotobed@lpl.arizona.edu (Joe Gotobed x4549) (06/20/91)

In article <700@pleiades.mel.dbce.csiro.au> igp@pleiades.mel.dbce.csiro.au (Ian Pearson) writes:
>I am trying to backup my pc HD using Fifth Generation Systems backup
>program Fastback Plus to a network drive using pc-nfs version 3.0.1
>(Version 3.5 hasn't been delivered yet !!!).  The network drive is
>mounted on a SGI Personal Iris 4D/35 running Irix release 3.3.2 and
>nfs version 3.3.
>
>We have several of these SGI workstations, and here is the strange part.
>FB+ backs up my pc hd partition properly on one of my SGI machines, but
>writes numerous files (volumes) of 10240 bytes on the others.  Let me make
>that clear - works properly with a backup files size of 40 odd Mbytes on SGI
>machine A, but creates numerous small files of 10240 bytes on SGI machine B.
>Machine A and machine B are running the same version of Irix, nfs etc.  The
>pc is the same in each case (therefore using the same version of msdos, pc-nfs

I back up our PCs the same way, I've found that if the partition on the
server is larger than 300 Mbytes fastback behaves as you described.

The exact size isn't clear, a 600Mbyte partition didn't work and a 300
did so my backup partition is 300 Mbytes. I just got a new 900MB drivbe
in so perhaps I'll try to pin this down.

I suspect the large size of the partition confuses fastback into thinking
there isn't much space hence it writes these hundereds of 10k backup
files.

If you get any info from the 5th Gen people let me know.
Thanks,
Joe

Joe Gotobed                        Internet       (joe@arizona.edu)
Network & Systems Manager          SPAN                 LOONEY::JSG
Lunar and Planetary Laboratory     University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721  (602) 621-4549