[comp.protocols.nfs] mount option 'nodev'

root@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Martin Walter) (06/14/91)

With HP-UX you can mount a NFS filesystem, so that the remote
device files are ignored. From the HP-UX MOUNT(1M) manual:

               .......  The nodevs option denies access to devices
               attached to the NFS client by causing attempts to read
               or write to NFS device files to return an error.

This option seems to me very useful to close certain security
holes. How can I get the same functionality on other unixes
especially under SunOS 4.1.1 ?
--
Martin Walter                  | Mail: mawa@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Rechenzentrum der Universitaet | University Computing Center

jay@silence.princeton.nj.us (Jay Plett) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.213712.27559@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de>, root@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Martin Walter) writes:
 ... [ nodev mount option to disallow access to devices ] ...
> This option seems to me very useful to close certain security
> holes. How can I get the same functionality on other unixes
> especially under SunOS 4.1.1 ?

You (and the rest of us) talk it up at every opportunity.
With the rapidly increasing prevalence of removable-media
devices, this option is essential.  We need the option;
it needs to be a standard option to the mount command on
every system.  We need to let the vendors know that we
need it.  Don't ever again go to a cocktail party without
bringing the subject up at least three times :-)  Seriously,
the topic needs "recognition".  Enough so that it will
penetrate the sales-weenies; then they will then get it
done.

	...jay

tar@math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (06/14/91)

jay@silence.princeton.nj.us (Jay Plett) writes:

>You (and the rest of us) talk it up at every opportunity.
>With the rapidly increasing prevalence of removable-media
>devices, this option is essential.  We need the option;

[ ... ]

I agree.  I don't understand the value of the "nosuid" option when making
your own /dev/kmem gives you the whole boat anyway.  But then, Sun ships
its operating system with a "+" in /etc/hosts.equiv.  :-(

I'm holding out for 4.4BSD on my SPARC so I can fix things like this
myself.  I won't live long enough to wait for Sun to do it for me.

--
Tim Ramsey/system administrator/tar@math.ksu.edu/(913) 532-6750/2-7004 (FAX)
Department of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS  66506-2602

 >I agree.  I don't understand the value of the "nosuid" option when making
 >your own /dev/kmem gives you the whole boat anyway.  But then, Sun ships
 >its operating system with a "+" in /etc/hosts.equiv.  :-(
 >
 >I'm holding out for 4.4BSD on my SPARC so I can fix things like this
 >myself.  I won't live long enough to wait for Sun to do it for me.

Hell, I fixed the SunOS running on Auspex boxes so that "nosuid" implies
"nodev" (is there *any* reason whatsoever to have two separate knobs, as
HP does?) a while ago, and even sent the changes to Sun; it ain't that
hard.