[comp.mail.multi-media] Musical information coding

) (09/14/89)

I would like to know whether there exist any standard or de facto
standard format for musical information and notes. You can of course
send notes as pictures (i.e. by fax) and music as digitized sound,
but then you can't edit the notes, nor drive any instruments. The
amount of information required for that kind of info is also (if
appropriately coded) considerably smaller than that of digitized
sound and/or picture.

Locally you can connect computers (even very small) and instruments
through the MIDI. Does the Midi standard include any kind of file
interchange format which also could be distributed over networks ?

If there exist one or more standard formats, which products do currently
conform to it ?

Regards
	Jan Lucenius

In article <3830@vtt.vtt.fi> lucenius@vtt.vtt.fi (Jan, puh 4566511, Lue heti !) writes:

   I would like to know whether there exist any standard or de facto
   standard format for musical information and notes.

You'll gag, but there is.  Microsoft Basics have a "play" statement, that
contains an encoding of pitch and tempo.  In a program posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc, someone extended it to multiple pitches.  If you
want to find this program, send me mail and I'll grep for it.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

salzman@randvax.UUCP (Isaac Salzman) (10/03/89)

In article <3830@vtt.vtt.fi> lucenius@vtt.vtt.fi (Jan, puh 4566511, Lue heti !) writes:
>Locally you can connect computers (even very small) and instruments
>through the MIDI. Does the Midi standard include any kind of file
>interchange format which also could be distributed over networks ?
>
>If there exist one or more standard formats, which products do currently
>conform to it ?

there exists a standard "MIDI File" format. It has the notion of tracks
and sequences for transferring song data. it also handles non-MIDI events
and MIDI system exclusive events, so you can store comments and synthesizer
specific information (synth patches, etc.).

several vendors support it. i use Opcode's Vision and Korg M1 patch
editor/librarian on a Mac, and both of these programs support MIDI files.
many of the Bulletin Boards that carry MIDI programs and such (including
CompuServe) have song archives in MIDI file format. i'll mail you a copy of
the MIDI File spec. in a private message. ciao!

--
* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
* The RAND Corporation - Information Sciences Dept.          /o o/  /

In article <2236@randvax.UUCP>, salzman@randvax.UUCP (Isaac Salzman) writes:
> there exists a standard "MIDI File" format. It has the notion of tracks
> and sequences for transferring song data. it also handles non-MIDI events
> and MIDI system exclusive events, so you can store comments and synthesizer
> specific information (synth patches, etc.).

Not only that, but the Midi File Format is a subset of the Electronic Arts/
Commodore Interchange File Format. A trivial translation (adding a 12-byte
chunk to the beginning of the file, and padding odd-sized chunks to an even
byte boundary) and it's compatible with the existing IFF standards for
digitized sound, images, animations, formatted text, and so on. This lets
you create a single file that includes not only the music but the instruments,
notation, animations, and other elements of a multimedia document.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'