[comp.mail.multi-media] Voice mail over sparcs

rauscher@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher) (11/13/90)

Does anybody know if there has ever been a voice-mail
system implented on SparcStations?
If not, and there is interest shown, I may begin working
on one myself.

Thanks,
-Rich
Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science
Internet: rauscher@rutgers.edu
Bitnet:   rauscher@PISCES
UUCP:     {backbone site}!rutgers!rauscher

nsb@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Nathaniel Borenstein) (11/14/90)

Using the Andrew Message System, you can send lots of different media
types across lots of machines, including Sparcs.  The standard Andrew
distribution does not include voice as an object type, but at least two
sites (Xerox PARC and someone else, I forget who) have written Andrew
"insets" for voice, thus creating voice mail integrated with multi-font
text, tables, animations, pictures, and more.

For more information about Andrew, see the info-andrew mailing list
(info-andrew[-request]@andrew.cmu.edu), reproduced on netnews as
comp.soft-sys.andrew.  -- Nathaniel Borenstein

J.Crowcroft@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) (11/14/90)

 >Does anybody know if there has ever been a voice-mail
 >system implented on SparcStations?

 Rich,

 i believe voice integration for the multi-media conferencing stuff on
various projects (DARTNET/ BBN et al) has been done - you might save
some work in just getting voice in&out decently contacting
casner@isi.edu...

btw - does anyone know where a public domain voice 'talk' for sparcx?

thanx

 jon

CASNER@VENERA.ISI.EDU (Stephen Casner) (11/14/90)

We have a program called Voice Terminal (VT) that allows us to talk
over the Ethernet using the SPARC audio device.  VT creates ST
connections to access bandwidth reservation services over the
long-haul net.

The original question was about using voice for mail, which has
a number of differences from real-time interactive communication.
Replies have already been sent about Andrew and Slate.  I think
those would be the most helpful paths to follow.
							-- Steve
-------

hans@sics.se (Hans Eriksson) (11/14/90)

In article <9011131735.AA26138@venera.isi.edu> J.Crowcroft@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) writes:

    >Does anybody know if there has ever been a voice-mail
    >system implented on SparcStations?

    Rich,

    i believe voice integration for the multi-media conferencing stuff on
   various projects (DARTNET/ BBN et al) has been done - you might save
   some work in just getting voice in&out decently contacting
   casner@isi.edu...

   btw - does anyone know where a public domain voice 'talk' for sparcx?

We have a multimedia project going on here at SICS. It is a part of
MultiG where the "G" also stands for Gigabit, but that is another
story.

Yes, we have voice-talk running between SPARCs and soon also Macs wil
be able to join in. It is more that just "raw" voice-over-tcp as we
will keep the sound synchronized, ie a constant delay, no more, no
less. If we get out of sync, we will delay or speed up the sound a
bit. Usually you wont notice it.

In a couple of months we wil also have picturephonetalk running.

The voicetalk is a student project which will finish by 5 dec with a
(hopefully) nice report. By then I think we can ship the stuff as it
is to anybody interested. Beware though, the user interface is a bit
crude, comparable to normal "talk".

If you are interested, drop me a line, and I will happily send you the
report in beginning of december. You will also get the MultiG project
spec as a boon...

/hans
--
Hans Eriksson (hans@sics.se)
Swedish Institute of Computer Science (SICS), Box 1263, S-164 28 KISTA, Sweden