[comp.mail.multi-media] Info Center

JRW100S@ODUVM.BITNET (Rusty Waterfield) (01/08/91)

Here at Old Dominion University we are looking for a multi-media system
that we can use as an info center for the students.  We are looking for
a system where students, maybe utilizing a touch screen, can get information
about the campus, registration, buildings, meal menus, etc.  It can
be PC or MAC based, but we prefer PC.  Any info would be appreciated.

jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) (01/10/91)

In seems to me if you wanted to do multimedia stuff you'd be better off
making the system either Mac based onr Amiga based.  Mac has Macromind
and Amiga comes with a multimedia authoring program called AmigaVision.
Of course this is not to say there's nothing for the PC.  I'm not too
familiar with what is available for that.  If you want good color graphics
and sound at a low price, consider an Amiga.  It's operating system
truely multitasks unlike Multifinder and the machine was designed pretty
much for multimedia.

This is my opinion only.

Jason Leigh
--
:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) ;^)   O^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^:
:^)  Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins.		  (^:

eric@mcrware.UUCP (Eric Miller) (01/12/91)

In article <91007.180140JRW100S@ODUVM.BITNET> JRW100S@ODUVM.BITNET (Rusty Waterfield) writes:
>Here at Old Dominion University we are looking for a multi-media system
>that we can use as an info center for the students.  We are looking for
>a system where students, maybe utilizing a touch screen, can get information
>about the campus, registration, buildings, meal menus, etc.  It can
>be PC or MAC based, but we prefer PC.  Any info would be appreciated.

It sounds like an ideal application for CD-I.  I can think of several
applications of this technology already in use just like your own.  At
the Flower and Green Exposition in Tokyo last year, every info center in
the Pavilion was a CD-I player with a touch screen.  They are also being
used in situations as diverse as a Museum of Natural History in Mexico City
and an Insurance Company in Iowa.  Many other institutions and business are
currently working on their installations.

You can expand a Base CD-I player with serial/SCSI/ethernet/etc to connect
it to any other system you are using (Mac/PC/Sun).  Most importantly, I
think that you will find the price of the final system extremely competitive.

Eric Miller
Manager, New Media Systems
Microware Systems Corp
Des Moines, Iowa 50325