[comp.mail.multi-media] REsend: digitizing VHS video

westine@ISI.EDU (Ann Westine) (04/09/91)

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Fri, 05 Apr 91 14:42:29 -0600
From:    billp@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Bill Pottenger)
To:      mmm-people-request@ISI.EDU
Subject: digitizing VHS video

Dear MMM-people:

I read with interest the articles in the most recent issue of ACM.
I have a personal interest in this field, specifically in digitizing
video.  I am looking for the necessary hardware (computers, black boxes,
etc) and software (off the shelf or packaged with hardware) to take
output from a VCR (VHS), digitize it, and store it in a binary data file
on a computer hard disk for later transmission using tcp/ip network
lines.  Upon reciept of the data, I would like to reverse the process.
Can you identify any manufactures of such products, or perhaps you could
point me to someone you know who is knowledgeable in this area.  I
would very much appreciate any help you can give me in this matter.
Thank you!
Bill Pottenger
Urbana, Illinois
billp@ncsa.uiuc.edu

------- End of Forwarded Message

gowdar@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Prasad Gowdar) (04/16/91)

An excellent place to search for info. on this topic is in Videodisc Monitor.
This monthly journal is dedicated to multi-media products.
Post Office Box 26
Falls Church VA 22040 USA
Phine: 703/241-1799
Fax: 703/532-0529