[comp.mail.multi-media] Info wanted...

> Can any body please give us info, especially price-performance details on the
> following basic-multimedia system.

Be glad to.

> The system's configuration is as follows:
> 	- PC-AT 386 with 387 co-processor
> 	- 8 MB EMS RAM
> 	- 300 MB HDD (SCSI)
> 	\- Magnaeto-Optical Rewritable Disk (SCSI)
> 	- Super VGA graphiscs card with analog color moni
> 	- Serial mouse/digitizer
> 	- Sound Digitizing and Playback card
> 	- Frame Grabber Board and Video Overlay Board.

Well, I would delete all of the above except the drives, and add:

	- Amiga 2000
	- 2630 68030/68882 card, or equivalent
	- 8 MB 32-bit RAM
	- Newtek Video Toaster

It's also possible to go with the Amiga 3000, if you don't mind the Toaster
sticking out of the case, which would give you 18 MB on the motherboard and
a potential for 64 MB total RAM with current cards. It is my understanding
that a new version of the Toaster sized to fit the 3000 is in the works.

Seriously, the Amiga is the best multimedia platform available, with a 5
year head-start on any other PC. And for bang for the buck it's unbeatable.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) (04/16/91)

Seriously, the recommendation for using the Amiga for multi-media
is a good one.  You don't need an overblown processor (like on the PC)
to do decent graphics; and the price will probably be more reasonable
than the PC; especially when you need good 3D rendering software.

Jason Leigh
jal@cs.wayne.edu
I use Amigas to do animation for educational videos.

--
:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) ;^)   O^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^:
:^)  Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins.		  (^:

rusti@erg.sri.com (Rusti Baker) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr16.034500.4748@cs.wayne.edu> jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:

>Seriously, the recommendation for using the Amiga for multi-media
>is a good one.  You don't need an overblown processor (like on the PC)
>to do decent graphics; and the price will probably be more reasonable
>than the PC;

I would add that you may also want to consider a soon to be announced
product from Silicon Graphics.  See this week's Business Week for an
article on the Compaq/SGI deal.  They mention a high performance
machine (MIPS R3000 based I am sure) priced well below Compaq (!!)
that will be out by the summer.  I think that the article said that it
will have integral multimedia support.  I assume this means video??
Audio is already on the 4D/35.

>especially when you need good 3D rendering software.

And what could be better than an SGI machine for 3D rendering
performance?
--
Rusti Baker                          <rusti@erg.sri.com>
SRI Engineering Research Group       (415) 859-2318