[comp.mail.multi-media] Voice Mail

abmg@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Aliasghar Babadi) (05/21/91)

Hi,

	I like to be able to leave  voice messages on a computer
using telephone. for example:

	I call my friend at work she is not there I want to leave a voice
message for her on her computer so later on when she logs into her
account she see the voice mail and she can listen to it.

	1- I want to know if there is such a system available.
	2- Do you have any idea of how to do this?
	3- Where can I get some help and more info on this subject?

Thank you fro your help.

lmb@sat.com (Larry Blair) (05/22/91)

In article <1781@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> abmg@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (
Aliasghar Babadi) writes:
=Hi,
=
=   I like to be able to leave  voice messages on a computer
=using telephone. for example:
=
=   I call my friend at work she is not there I want to leave a voice
=message for her on her computer so later on when she logs into her
=account she see the voice mail and she can listen to it.
=
=   1- I want to know if there is such a system available.
=   2- Do you have any idea of how to do this?
=   3- Where can I get some help and more info on this subject?

Octel Communications, which makes the Aspen voice mail system, has been
working on this problem.  I don't know if they are selling it yet, but you
could call them and ask.  Their number is (408) 942-6500.  Their address
is 890 Tasman Drive, Milpitas, CA (I don't remember the zip!).
--
Larry Blair   lmb@sat.com   {apple,decwrl}!sat!lmb

robertl@bucsf.bu.edu (Robert La Ferla) (05/31/91)

All NeXT workstations have voicemail.

Robert La Ferla
Lotus Development Corporation
Advanced Technology Group / NeXT Improv
robertl@lotus.com

Tom.Brown@f1007.n124.z1.fidonet.org (Tom Brown) (06/17/91)

* In a message originally to All, Aliasghar Babadi said:
 > Newsgroups: comp.mail.multi-media
 > Hi,
 >
 > 	I like to be able to leave  voice messages on a computer
 > using telephone. for example:
 >
 > 	I call my friend at work she is not there I want to leave a
 > voice
 > message for her on her computer so later on when she logs
 > into her
 > account she see the voice mail and she can listen to it.
 >
 > 	1- I want to know if there is such a system available.
 > 	2- Do you have any idea of how to do this?
 > 	3- Where can I get some help and more info on this subject?
 >
 > Thank you fro your help.
 >
 > --- Fred-Uf 1.8(L)[BETA]
 >  * Origin: KCVT Usenet <-> Fidonet Gateway (1:124/1007.0)
I just read a catalog from
DAK Industries Inc., they have a communication board called "PC
Switchboard" which probably will do what you wanted including:
voice messages, 2400bps modem, and 9600 FAX.  The cost is about
299.00.  Give them a call # is 1-800-456-9678 the stock # is
5743 or 5744.
hope you find what you wnat
---
 * Origin: Kimball Computer Video 214-869-2859 (1:124/1007)

In article <677120503.0@kcvt.fidonet> Tom.Brown@f1007.n124.z1.fidonet.org (Tom Brown) writes:
> I just read a catalog from
> DAK Industries Inc., they have a communication board called "PC

Warning. Everything I have ever bought from DAK has been screwed up in some
major way. The thing is, DAK buys stuff that wouldn't sell... and in most
cases something that won't sell won't sell for a reason.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

klm@gozer.UUCP (Kevin L. McBride) (06/24/91)

In article <8M0CXLA@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <677120503.0@kcvt.fidonet> Tom.Brown@f1007.n124.z1.fidonet.org (Tom Brown) writes:
>> I just read a catalog from
>> DAK Industries Inc., they have a communication board called "PC
>
>Warning. Everything I have ever bought from DAK has been screwed up in some
>major way. The thing is, DAK buys stuff that wouldn't sell... and in most
>cases something that won't sell won't sell for a reason.

On the other hand, some people feel that they have gotten bona fide
deals from DAK.  For example, their stereo graphic equalizer that has
been on a $149 closeout for years now.  BSR couldn't sell them, but
DAK could and keeps ordering more.  I bought one back around 1986 and
have no complaints so far.  I have also bought other things from DAK.
I have only had a problem once and they took care of it to my
satisfaction.  Your mileage may vary, as Peter's obviously has.  I
have no connection with DAK other than being a satisfied customer.

The modem/FAX/voicemail thingie that DAK is now selling appears to be
very similar to another product currently on the market called "The
Complete PC."  I have not used or seen DAK's offering up close so I
can't be certain.

One caveat that you should be aware of in these multi-function
telecomm cards is that the supplied software often assumes that you
will be using all 3 functions at some time and can be rather
inflexible about letting you set things up the way you want.

If all you want is voicemail on your PC, check out Watson or Bigmouth.
At least one software company has come out with a voicemail package
for 386 PCs running Interactive and/or SCO Unix.  I have considered
writing a Unix driver and simple application toolkit for the Watson
card.

If you want info on Unix voicemail, send me some e-mail and I will dig
up the info for you.

On my Unix system I have no need for a 2400 baud modem (I have a
Telebit T2500), and I have no current need for online FAX.  Voicemail
on Unix would be real nice though and it should be pretty easy to
write something to notify your regular e-mail box when something
arrives in your voicemail box... Unless, of course, you already have
a multi-media e-mail package like the one on NeXT.

>--
>Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
>Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

--
Kevin L. McBride    DoD      // Just say NO to the war on your freedom which,
President          #0348    //  by the way, is being fought with YOUR money.