[comp.sys.super] Losing ETA Technology

turner@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu (Steve Turner) (05/05/90)

In article <48598@ames.arc.nasa.gov> lamaster@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:

>   interesting to note that the ETA 10-G *still* has the world's Linpack
>   N=100 Fortran speed record, at 93 MFLOPS.
>
>     Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
>     NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov
>     Moffett Field, CA 94035
>     Phone:  (415)604-6117

I assume that you mean the *single processor* record, since the list
that Dongarra publiished in the latest CAN shows the 8 processor YMP
turning in 200 MFLOPS.  Not to take anything away from the admittedly
amazing ETA numbers.

As a side note, I was quite happy to see that Cray and ETA between
them took *all* of the top slots (about 10, wish I had my copy here...)
The threat from the new Japanese machines may have been exagerated.
(at least until the SX-3 comes out).

--
              Steve Turner (on the Si prairie  - UIUC CSRD)

    ARPANET:  turner@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
    UUCP:     {ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uicsrd!turner

    I went walking in the wasted city / Started thinking about entropy
    Smelled the wind from the ruined river / Went home to watch TV
                                                 -- Warren Zevon

spr@eli.cray.com (Steve Reinhardt) (05/10/90)

In article <48598@ames.arc.nasa.gov> lamaster@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:
>Cryogenic technology is not the only thing ETA did of interest.  It is
>interesting to note that the ETA 10-G *still* has the world's Linpack
>N=100 Fortran speed record, at 93 MFLOPS.  This is over 10% raw speed
>advantage over the Y-MP and 30% MFLOPS/Clock Rate, since the clock speed
>on the Y-MP is 6ns vs 7ns for the ETA.
I have in front of me a copy of the LINPACK results dated 8/20/88, which
shows an 8-CPU YMP delivering 195MF on the LINPACK N=100.  This was
using an early version of our Autotasking software to distribute
the work automatically across multiple processors.  Our YMP numbers have
since gotten a little better through various tweaks.
(Of course, if you meant single-CPU, you're right, though I would
claim you should limit the ETA to one pipe, too.)

Steve Reinhardt			ARPA: spr@cray.com
Cray Research, Inc.  		or    spr%eli.cray.com@uc.msc.umn.edu
1345 Northland Drive 		UUCP: ...!uunet!cray!spr
Mendota Heights, MN 55120	Work : (612) 681-5664