[comp.sys.super] Cray bought Supertek

abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) (05/10/90)

I just found out that Cray bought Supertek at the end of March.  Can anyone
tell me more?

-Drew

Andrew Bennett
MIT Supercomputer Consultant                 The comments stated are not
Rm. 11-124H, 77 Massachusetts Ave.           representative of MIT.  They
Cambridge, MA  02139  (617) 253-7174         are the rantings of an over-
abennett@mit.edu                             caffeinated mind.

eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (05/10/90)

I've not been down to Supertek since January or so.
But they were testing a naive Unix.  Since then, I've heard
they are now just a shell of a building.  You would have to
talk to CRI about them.  You really must make some distinction between
CCC and CRI. [Note: got fun mail from both companies about how
ones goes and purchases a Cray-2, if you really want one.]

My major observation was Supertek had purchased the SCS Fortran compiler.
It behaved like the CIVIC compiler. You know Marty, like placing
temp files in the directory you were working like ETA ftn77.
We were awaiting manuals for evaluation.  I would hope for a better
compiling system if CRI takes them over.

P.S. Marty, you (Intergraph), owes me a letterhead on the bibliography.
Must not get Prentice-Hall, Inc. mad.  Thank you. 8)

--e. nobuo miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene

spl@duck.ncsc.org (Steve Lamont) (05/10/90)

In article <1990May9.174614.24187@athena.mit.edu> abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) writes:

>I just found out that Cray bought Supertek at the end of March.  Can anyone
>tell me more?

... you mean other than P.T. Barnum was right? :-)

							spl (the p stands for
							preparing for
							flamage)
--
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy	(919) 248-1120		EMail:	spl@ncsc.org
NCSC (The other one), Box 12732, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709