[comp.sys.super] Discussion on whether distributed networks are super

eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (06/04/90)

Peter Brewer of the SRC makes a good point.
I've not tried to say whether loosely coupled distributed networks
constitute supercomputers.

My favorite example is Manasse's factoring using email of all things.
I think its just a matter of time before a few other supercomputer
users will resort to things like using gangs of workstations to solve
their problem.  I know one of our computational fluid dynamicists
has Mark's code and has given serious thought to taking spare cycles
on our workstations rather than use supers.  I think he intends to ask
rather than use an improved Morris style flooding algorithm.

It's also a matter of time for other disciplines to do this as well.
Sure it will be harder than writing convention code, but some users are
getting desparate for their fractions of a super. 10% or 1% of a super
sounds like a lot of what people are getting everywhere.  Imagine
battling worms seeking out unused cycles (one could write a novel, maybe
make a movie)....

But I think for purposes of discussion, supers are confind to "one box"
be it a 2 foot high octogon or a aircraft carrier sized build
(Cray machine to Smith machine).  A different newsgroup can be used for
loosely coupled distributed computing.

As to 3090s being supers.  David just sent me a note: he visited
IBM Japan's Tokyo Research Lab.  Since 3090's aren't seen as supers, I should
just post this to s.c.j. (which most don't read, but I fear the noise
ratio might drive some of you away): use the '=' command and just look
at headers (if rn, or nn, etc.), I might just forward these things to
news groups as needed rather than post to s.c.j., but then I have to
think of which group to post......

--e. nobuo miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene

lerici@super.ORG (Peter W. Brewer) (06/05/90)

In article <6485@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) writes:
>Peter Brewer of the SRC makes a good point.
>I've not tried to say whether loosely coupled distributed networks
>constitute supercomputers.
>
>But I think for purposes of discussion, supers are confind to "one box"
>be it a 2 foot high octogon or a aircraft carrier sized build
>(Cray machine to Smith machine).  A different newsgroup can be used for
>loosely coupled distributed computing.
>

>--e. nobuo miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
>  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene
I note in passing that someone claims an olympic record of 12.5 GFlops..
must have been thinking of Mark Spitz I think the CM-2 achieved 16GFlops.
I offer lunch/dinner to the first to achieve 1/4 TeraFlop. Whether it be
the Burton Box, the SuperScary CM-X (Watch that X-factor you CRI stock
holders), or maybe Steve Chen..

Wouldn't be great to have a Cray2 whose foreground processor was a front end
to the CM-2 fully loaded? Maybe more than one? And wouldn't it be great if
the CRI/CM CEs were Kathleen Turner twins? And wouldn't it be great if they\
brought beer and it was TeraFlop beer made in Colorado Springs ???

-- Peter

--
Peter Brewer             ||||     |||||  |||||||||  ||||||  //|||||\  ||||||
lerici@super.org	 ||       ||__   ||     ||    ||   ||           ||

lgreen@cup.portal.com (Lawrence H Greenwald) (06/05/90)

As for 3090's being supercomputers...Don't bet on it!!

We have a 3090-400 running in our shop, and some recent rumors have us inter-
ested in another manufacturer's machine (a plug compatable) that's supposed
to be TWICE as fast.

An IBM 3090-400 runs about 50 MIPS (That's strictly a guess!!)

I won't name names because it's all in the rumor stage right now.

Larry Greenwald

brooking@mcnc.org (Jim Brooking) (06/06/90)

In article <30538@cup.portal.com>, lgreen@cup.portal.com (Lawrence H Greenwald) writes:
> An IBM 3090-400 runs about 50 MIPS (That's strictly a guess!!)

What's a MIPS doing in c.s.s? We talk MEGAFLOPS here, boy!
They talk MIPS in alt.evil or other kinky newsgroups.

--
Jim Brooking........North Carolina Supercomputing Center.......(919)248-1145