[comp.sys.super] FREE SUBSCRIPTION TO SUPERCOMPUTER REVIEW

eamonn@well.sf.ca.us (Eamonn Wilmott) (06/02/90)

FREE three month trial subscription to SUPERCOMPUTING REVIEW.

The leading magazine  on high-performance computing,
SUPERCOMPUTING REVIEW, is offering a three month trial
subscription at no charge (a $36 value).

To receive a free subscription reply via modem to their BBS:

Call 415-524-9625, 24 hours, 1200/2400-8-N-1.

To sign on, enter SUPER NET for first & last name and GO for
password.

randall@sidd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randall Rathbun) (06/04/90)

Subject: FREE (it's not) MAGAZINE SUPERCOMPUTER

Readers:

IT's NOT free. I fell for this one, dialed up the modem, made the connection,
answered the appropriate questions, hung up and thought, well I have a free
subscription now.

Imagine my surprise about 4 weeks later, no magazine, but a bill for $56.

Let the reader beware!
                           - Randall (redfaced, but a little wiser)
NCR E & M - San Diego   | INTERNET - Randall.Rathbun@SanDiego.NCR.COM
16550 W Bernardo Drive  |   UUCP   - {backbone}!ncr-sd!thor!randall
San Diego, CA 92127     |  TELE #  - (USA) (619) 485-3620 or 2358

lgreen@cup.portal.com (Lawrence H Greenwald) (06/05/90)

Readers:

IT's NOT free. I fell for this one, dialed up the modem, made the connection,
answered the appropriate questions, hung up and thought, well I have a free
subscription now.

Imagine my surprise about 4 weeks later, no magazine, but a bill for $56.

Let the reader beware!
                           - Randall (redfaced, but a little wiser)
NCR E & M - San Diego   | INTERNET - Randall.Rathbun@SanDiego.NCR.COM
16550 W Bernardo Drive  |   UUCP   - {backbone}!ncr-sd!thor!randall
San Diego, CA 92127     |  TELE #  - (USA) (619) 485-3620 or 2358

Randall - it's no ripoff. It's probably one of those "try a trial subscription
and if you don't like it, write 'cancel' on the bill and return it...keep the
issues with our compliments" offers.

Wait a while before complaining...if you don't get an issue within say, 30
days (the usual 4-week turnaround time for these things), THEN complain!

Larry Greenwald

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (06/07/90)

>FREE three month trial subscription to SUPERCOMPUTING REVIEW.
>
>The leading magazine  on high-performance computing,
>SUPERCOMPUTING REVIEW, is offering a three month trial
>subscription at no charge (a $36 value).
>
> [...]

Advertisements like this have no place on Usenet.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

mtv@milton.acs.washington.edu (David Schanen) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun7.031923.4647@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>Advertisements like this have no place on Usenet.
>
>--

   Not to mention the fact that I called from the west coast oer a month ago

and haven't heard a thing yet...

	>:^(

		-Dave
--
 Internet: mtv@milton.u.washington.edu	|      "Internet Go, anyone?"  -Me
 Bitnet:   MTV@UWAV1			|  "It's my theory, it belongs to me!"

mike@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (06/08/90)

In article <3993@milton.acs.washington.edu> mtv@milton.u.washington.edu (David Schanen) writes:
>   Not to mention the fact that I called from the west coast oer a month ago
>and haven't heard a thing yet...

You probably didn't meet their "strict audit requirements". Its the
latest gimmick. If you don't "meet" them, they send you an invoice for
the subscription. I wonder how many people really "meet" these audit
requirements?

The above comments are not referring to Supercomputer Review, or whatever
its called, specifically, just the tactic in general.

MD
--
-- UUCP:     ...!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!mike       ------------------------------
-- Internet: mike@anomaly.sbs.com                --   "From Sick Minds Come  --

tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) (06/08/90)

In article <3993@milton.acs.washington.edu> mtv@milton.u.washington.edu (David Schanen) writes:
>In article <1990Jun7.031923.4647@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>
>>>FREE three month trial subscription to SUPERCOMPUTING REVIEW.
>>
>>Advertisements like this have no place on Usenet.
>>
>>--
>
>   Not to mention the fact that I called from the west coast oer a month ago
>
>and haven't heard a thing yet...

That makes me feel better ... I called from Glasgow at about the same time, and
I also have received nothing.

Maybe this has come from the same people who did the "GET-WELL-CARDS-FOR-SICK-KID" stuff.  :-)

tk

filler (stupid newsreader..)
.
.