[comp.sys.super] I/O subsystems

yamo@wk46..nas.nasa.gov (Michael Yamasaki) (05/30/90)

In article <359@garth.UUCP> fouts@bozeman.ingr.com (Martin Fouts) writes:

>One of the ways in which cheap workstations got to be cheap was by
>neglecting to install I/O hardware.  [...]
>
>The single most frustrating thing for me as a consumer of workstations
>is that I/O costs haven't decreased at the same relative rate as MIPS
>and MFLOPS costs --- Although they are decreasing.  [...]

>However, the cost of I/O performance is coming down.  ESDI drives with
>hundreds of megabytes of storage are available on PCS which give the
>same per user performance as the high performance I/O subsystems on
>supercomputers at a lower per user cost, and usually much more storage
>per user.

Greetings.  IMHO, one of the places where supercomputers (my only experience
is with Cray 2 and Cray YMP) excel over the touted killer micro solution
is in I/O performance.  In a strange way, it is because of the high cost of
the traditional supercomputer that high cost/high performance I/O subsystems
are acceptable.  Your last statements are (in my experience) dubious.

My workstation (a Personal Iris) gets something less than a megabyte/second
disk I/O.  Our Cray 2 gets something more than 10 megabytes/second.  You
know by the magic of large I/O buffers that it can seem to the user to get
30-40 megabytes/second.  (Wasn't HSP-2's acceptance test something like an
aggregate 100 MBytes/second?)

Even with IPI-2 drives, workstations and PCs will quickly run out of I/O bus
bandwidth.  Add a HPPI or two, support for those million shaded polygons
a second, a few hundred megabytes of memory, multiple micro processors and
uh oh the main bus gets stressed a bit.

There's more to supercomputer architecture than the CPU.  When micros have
sucessfully addressed the rest of the issues, then they'll really be
"killers".

                                       -Yamo-
                                 yamo@wk46.nas.nasa.gov
                                yamo@amelia.nas.nasa.gov
                     {ncar, decwrl, hplabs, uunet}!ames!amelia!yamo

(hey, Marty, you gonna show up for some softball one of these days?  -Y-)

mccalpin@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (John D Mccalpin) (05/30/90)

In article <6374@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> yamo@wk46.nas.nasa.gov (Michael Yamasaki) writes:
>In article <359@garth.UUCP> fouts@bozeman.ingr.com (Martin Fouts) writes:
>>
>>One of the ways in which cheap workstations got to be cheap was by
>>neglecting to install I/O hardware.  [...]

>My workstation (a Personal Iris) gets something less than a megabyte/second
>disk I/O.  Our Cray 2 gets something more than 10 megabytes/second.  You
>know by the magic of large I/O buffers that it can seem to the user to get
>30-40 megabytes/second.  (Wasn't HSP-2's acceptance test something like an
>aggregate 100 MBytes/second?)
>   -Yamo-       yamo@amelia.nas.nasa.gov

Well, I guess I am a bit confused, because 10% of the I/O performance of
a Cray 2 means that your workstation is relatively imbalanced *toward* I/O
performance, rather than away from it!

My Personal Iris runs my 64-bit codes at about 1-2 MFLOPS, which makes it
about 1% of a Y/MP.  The I/O numbers that I have seen are on the order of
1 MB/s, while the Cray numbers are on the order of 10 MB/s to disk -- so I
get about 10% of the Y/MP.
Thus my machine is 10 times more cost-effective for I/O than for
computations!  (relative to a Y/MP).

If you are running scalar codes (yecch!) that are as fast on the
workstation as on the Cray, then this ratio would be turned upside-down.
Perhaps this is the more common occurrence.
--
John D. McCalpin                               mccalpin@vax1.udel.edu
Assistant Professor                            mccalpin@delocn.udel.edu

lkaplan@bbn.com (Larry Kaplan) (05/30/90)

In article <6374@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> yamo@wk46.nas.nasa.gov (Michael Yamasaki) writes:
>Greetings.  IMHO, one of the places where supercomputers (my only experience
>is with Cray 2 and Cray YMP) excel over the touted killer micro solution
>is in I/O performance.
>
>My workstation (a Personal Iris) gets something less than a megabyte/second
>disk I/O.  Our Cray 2 gets something more than 10 megabytes/second.

There are some true "killer micros" that address I/O issues on the market
right now.  BBN's newer "Butterfly" machine (TC2000) can be configured with
one I/O bus (read VME) for about every TWO processors.
About three quarters of these busses are single slot, the rest being 4-slot
buses.  VME-to-SCSI adapters and VME bus repeaters are available.
Note that these busses are NOT used for direct communication
between the processors.  There is a Butterfly interconnection network for that.
These busses communicate with memory at a peak of 8 Mbytes/sec.

Using a crude test of "dd if=<unbuffered device> of=/dev/null" and some
blocking arguments currently yields about 1 Mbyte/sec using the unbuffered
device.  This single threaded I/O rate is similar to that found on the IRIS
above.  Distributing files and users across multiple disks allows you to
effectively multiply this bandwidth.  The kernel, including the disk device
driver, is fully parallel.  In addition, paging traffic can be easily
distributed across separate disks.  All of this capability is available NOW.
One existing customer has 9 disks on five I/O busses.

This amount of I/O is starting to look reasonable for a killer micro.
Some work remains to be done, however, in getting the software to effectively
use all of the bandwidth.

I believe that Alliant has a similiar (though not quite so scalable) story.
The rumor mill has NCUBE and Intel developing similar capabilities for their
machines.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
				 ____ \ / ____
Laurence S. Kaplan		|    \ 0 /    |		BBN Advanced Computers
lkaplan@bbn.com			 \____|||____/		10 Fawcett St.
(617) 873-2431			  /__/ | \__\		Cambridge, MA  02238

In article <6543@vax1.acs.udel.EDU> mccalpin@vax1.udel.edu (John D Mccalpin) writes:

>Well, I guess I am a bit confused, because 10% of the I/O performance of
>a Cray 2 means that your workstation is relatively imbalanced *toward* I/O
>performance, rather than away from it!
>
>My Personal Iris runs my 64-bit codes at about 1-2 MFLOPS, which makes it
>about 1% of a Y/MP.  The I/O numbers that I have seen are on the order of
>1 MB/s, while the Cray numbers are on the order of 10 MB/s to disk -- so I
>get about 10% of the Y/MP.
>Thus my machine is 10 times more cost-effective for I/O than for
>computations!  (relative to a Y/MP).

I didn't intend to say that the Cray's were well balanced flops to I/O.
Some people like to think Crays turn compute bound problems into
I/O bound problems.  Uh, I shudder to think what using an Iris with
10% of it's current I/O bandwidth would be like.

(Cost effective?  If it takes me the same time to do 10% of a problem, it
wouldn't seem to be cost effective to me. ;-)

The Cray numbers, by the way, are what a typical user might expect for a
single processor job with 50 or so other users.  The Iris numbers are of
course for a single user.

In article <56754@bbn.BBN.COM> lkaplan@BBN.COM (Larry Kaplan) writes:

>There are some true "killer micros" that address I/O issues on the market
>right now.  BBN's newer "Butterfly" machine (TC2000) can be configured with
>one I/O bus (read VME) for about every TWO processors.
> [...]
>These busses communicate with memory at a peak of 8 Mbytes/sec.
> [...]
>One existing customer has 9 disks on five I/O busses.

Combined peaks of these five I/O busses is somewhat less than a single
HPPI interface, less than half of an HSX (at 100 MBytes/sec.). Again,
the numbers I used for the Cray 2 were for a typical single processor job
with 50 or so other users on the system.

>This amount of I/O is starting to look reasonable for a killer micro.
>Some work remains to be done, however, in getting the software to effectively
>use all of the bandwidth.

(an exersize for the reader? ;-)  Really, this doesn't seem like a trivial
problem to me.

ciotti@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Robert B. Ciotti) (05/31/90)

In article <6543@vax1.acs.udel.EDU> mccalpin@vax1.udel.edu (John D Mccalpin) writes:
>In article <6374@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> yamo@wk46.nas.nasa.gov (Michael Yamasaki) writes:
>>In article <359@garth.UUCP> fouts@bozeman.ingr.com (Martin Fouts) writes:
>>>
>>>One of the ways in which cheap workstations got to be cheap was by
>>>neglecting to install I/O hardware.  [...]
>
>>My workstation (a Personal Iris) gets something less than a megabyte/second
>>disk I/O.  Our Cray 2 gets something more than 10 megabytes/second.  You

>Well, I guess I am a bit confused, because 10% of the I/O performance of
>a Cray 2 means that your workstation is relatively imbalanced *toward* I/O
>performance, rather than away from it!
>
>My Personal Iris runs my 64-bit codes at about 1-2 MFLOPS, which makes it
>about 1% of a Y/MP.

A single processor that is, average workload performance puts it at .1%

>The I/O numbers that I have seen are on the order of
>1 MB/s, while the Cray numbers are on the order of 10 MB/s to disk -- so I
>get about 10% of the Y/MP.

single process/single stream rates again that is, aggregate rotating
media performance comes out at .5%, and including the SSD, .0714%

For our Y-MP,
The I/O performance for *Standard* FORTRAN I/O I have measured to exceed 1.2
 gigabytes per second from a single process/single I/O stream to a
 SSD cached filesystem (yes its memory, but thats what it for, 2 gigabytes).

multiple process/multiple stream I/O rates to disk have been benched exceeding
200 megabytes per second.

Big killer micro configurations are going to have to compete with the aggregate
rates as well as the single thread rates. (parallel)Flops just ain't good
enough, your results have to go somewhere , If you can put a big SSD type
memory to use for I/O, your still going to have to get it there somehow and
in a standard way.

Bob

fouts@bozeman.ingr.com (Martin Fouts) (06/07/90)

In article <6374@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> (Michael Yamasaki) writes:

   In article <359@garth.UUCP> fouts@bozeman.ingr.com (Martin Fouts) writes:

   >One of the ways in which cheap workstations got to be cheap was by
   >neglecting to install I/O hardware.  [...]
   >
   >The single most frustrating thing for me as a consumer of workstations
   >is that I/O costs haven't decreased at the same relative rate as MIPS
   >and MFLOPS costs --- Although they are decreasing.  [...]

   >However, the cost of I/O performance is coming down.  ESDI drives with
   >hundreds of megabytes of storage are available on PCS which give the
   >same per user performance as the high performance I/O subsystems on
   >supercomputers at a lower per user cost, and usually much more storage
   >per user.

   Greetings.  IMHO, one of the places where supercomputers (my only experience
   is with Cray 2 and Cray YMP) excel over the touted killer micro solution
   is in I/O performance.  In a strange way, it is because of the high cost of
   the traditional supercomputer that high cost/high performance I/O subsystems
   are acceptable.  Your last statements are (in my experience) dubious.

   My workstation (a Personal Iris) gets something less than a megabyte/second
   disk I/O.  Our Cray 2 gets something more than 10 megabytes/second.  You
   know by the magic of large I/O buffers that it can seem to the user to get
   30-40 megabytes/second.  (Wasn't HSP-2's acceptance test something like an
   aggregate 100 MBytes/second?)

   Even with IPI-2 drives, workstations and PCs will quickly run out of I/O bus
   bandwidth.  Add a HPPI or two, support for those million shaded polygons
   a second, a few hundred megabytes of memory, multiple micro processors and
   uh oh the main bus gets stressed a bit.

   There's more to supercomputer architecture than the CPU.  When micros have
   sucessfully addressed the rest of the issues, then they'll really be
   "killers".

Hi. I completely agree that the big systems are still much better at
I/O.  The requirement for HSP-2 by the way was for real aggragate disk
performance across 10 pairs of drives at once, while maintaining an
outrageous amount of network traffic.  The Cray 2 passed with ease.
(You can't actually generate enough I/O traffic across all of the disk
drives, memory interfaces and high speed channels to consume the
"backplane" rate that the machine can generate.) The much more recent
Y/MP had to sweat a lot to pass, although it did eventually.

Now let me try to justify my last point by pointing out that I said
"per user".  A typical PC has one user.  A typical Cray 2 has
thousands, often with dozens of users on running simultaneously.  The
raw performance of the workstation is often in the 1 to 10 percent
range of the Cray, but the divisor is often 1 user for the workstation
(how many people are you sharing the iris with?) and often 10 for
simultaneous bandwidth and 1000 for storage for the Cray.

By the way, through the magic of multiple busses, some Irises (I don't
remember the personal well enough) can pass incredible amounts of data
between the graphics engine and the display without ever touching the
I/O bus.

To reitterate, you are correct; the big win in supercomputer
architecture is the scalability of I/O performance to match CPU
performance.  The big loose in "killer" microprocessor systems is the
lack of that scalability.  My argument is that we can build scalable
workstations, if we are willing to concentrate on the i/o as well as
the CPU.

One of the things which frustrates me in this area is the lack of
educational effort.  The latest book on computer "architecture" from
two people who should know better spends most of its time on CPU
performance and devotes only a small portion to I/O architecture.  Of
course, it is much better than typical "architecture" texts which only
deal with CPU architecture.

					  -Yamo-
				    yamo@wk46.nas.nasa.gov
				   yamo@amelia.nas.nasa.gov
			{ncar, decwrl, hplabs, uunet}!ames!amelia!yamo

   (hey, Marty, you gonna show up for some softball one of these days?  -Y-)

   (When's the next game.  Scuba class is over, but nobody has sent me
    a schedule in thee weeks.)

--
Martin Fouts

 UUCP:  ...!pyramid!garth!fouts  ARPA:  apd!fouts@ingr.com
PHONE:  (415) 852-2310            FAX:  (415) 856-9224
 MAIL:  2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA, 94303

If you can find an opinion in my posting, please let me know.
I don't have opinions, only misconceptions.

eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (06/07/90)

In article <424@garth.UUCP> fouts@bozeman.ingr.com (Martin Fouts) writes:
>One of the things which frustrates me in this area is the lack of
>educational effort......
>it is much better than typical "architecture" texts which only
>deal with CPU architecture.

From George Michael:
	There is a fixation on CPUs in this country sort of like a teat
	[female breast].  We have to stop that.  We have to have more
	balanced SYSTEMS.

I would not quite use George's gender-biased language.

	You would.

I would say we are infatuated, or have a fetish on CPUs, and I/O will
continue to be a problem.  So what is industry going to do about it?
The problem, George, is that you scientists want an infinite quantity of
storage, in a finite media, peta-bytes and peta-bytes, and you want it all,
NOW!

	You are right.

Well, I don't see how you are going to get it (infinite).

--e. nobuo miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene

	To the PAX people:
	We tend to use the term "peak" as well, but "Olympic" is
	some new colorful language, we've not heard, but since you
	broadcast, I think you have added it to the vinacular.

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (06/10/90)

In article <6583@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) writes:

>I would say we are infatuated, or have a fetish on CPUs, and I/O will
>continue to be a problem.  So what is industry going to do about it?

1) I/O will always be a problem, for all of the usual design reasons,
and especially when working near the edge on peak performance.

2) However, I would suggest that it will start getting better, at least
in certain ways, and especially in price/performance.

3) The reason is the same kind of dynamic that has led to SCSI & Ethernet
chips, for example.  Specifically, when the time is "right", people are
induced to do fast, high-integration (and therefore fairly cheap) chips
that help solve parts of the I/O problem as well.

4) Consider, for example, Ethernet support.
a) Early on, Ethernet support was a board full of logic, not cheap.
However, since it was in a supermini, it was still a small fraction of
the price, so it probably didn't matter too much.
b) As microprocessor systems came along, Ethernet support is now down to
a LANCE chip or equivalent, and a little bit of glue:
	1) Workstations NEEDED cheap Ethernet.
	2) There was a market for large volumes, hence worth doing.
5) Same kind of progress in SCSI.

I would claim that the following dynamic exists:
1) Workstations and other micro-based products are zooming upward in
CPU performance at fairly low cost.
2) Such machines could certainly use better I/O.
3) The volumes make it interesting for people to design chips to support
such things, whereas this has seldom been true in the super- or mainframe
markets.
4) Over the next few years, we will see increasing interest in people looking
to sell support chips for:
	faster & wider busses
	I/O muxing & buffering
	network interfaces
	disk control, such as for RAIDs
5) There used to be huge numbers of different architectures for CPUs,
whereas now more people use CPUs, and design I/O systems.  In some parts of
the design space, it is easy enough to design computers with just a few VLSI
chips that include both CPU & I/O.  I think that space will enlarge to much
higher performance levels, as the faster VLSI CPUs make it both necessary
to get fast inexpensive I/O, and enough volume to make it interesting.

6) I'd still expect that supercomputers will have an edge in this area,
although I'd be amazed if killer-micros-with-(forthcoming better I/O)
don't blow them away on I/O price/performance basis (but not absolute
performance, of course).
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700

eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (06/12/90)

In article <39284@mips.mips.COM> mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:

>1) I/O will always be a problem, for all of the usual design reasons,

	"When you can give me disks which rotate significantly
	faster than 3600 RPM, then we can start talking."
				--Don Senzig

Time to round up all the "usual" suspects. ;)

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (06/12/90)

In article <6662@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) writes:
>In article <39284@mips.mips.COM> mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
>
>>1) I/O will always be a problem, for all of the usual design reasons,
>
>	"When you can give me disks which rotate significantly
>	faster than 3600 RPM, then we can start talking."
>				--Don Senzig
>
>Time to round up all the "usual" suspects. ;)

Seems like the RPM is only suspect #2.  I'd observe that N cheap disks
running in parallel-transfer designs may have N times the "logical"
rotation speed & N times the data xfer rate.... but don't seek in 1/N
of the time of one....  so I'd say that disk seek is suspect #1.