[comp.sys.super] CM-2 to the rescue

brewer@umd5.umd.edu (Peter Brewer) (06/30/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.super
Subject: Re: mips and mflops
>Rating a Vax 780 as a 1, then, our Convex C1 comes in at about 5 and
>our Cray 2 varies from a 3 to a 25.  This is, of course, only speed, and does
>not take into account the big memory on the Cray; if memory is a necessity,
>sometimes one has to go to the Cray even if it's slower than a Sun workstation.
>I suggest we leave the floor open for discussing *all* kinds of large scale
>computing, ok?  That way all of us who have consumed 22 Cray-2 cpu-months
>will feel welcome.
>
>Duncan Buell                       Supercomputing Research Center
>duncan@super.org                   Bowie, Maryland 20715

The CM-2 does 2,500 MIPS and 1,500 MIPS for 64-bit integer adds. Memory
bandwidth is 300 Gbits/sec. When the new 4Mbit DRAMS are shipped it
will max out to 8GB. The new C* and Fortran compilers on Sun 4 front-ends
should make using it not too bad compared to a Cray. Have you thought about
the CM-2? The references for this info are Parallel Supercomputing in
SIMD architectures by R. Michael Hord (He mentions the SRC as a CM-2 64K site)
and TMC customer support group.

Peter
brewer@umd5.umd.edu

P.S. How's that for references Eugene?

--
Peter W. Brewer GRAD STUDENT : BOHICA Bend Over Here It Comes Again!!
Quote: One of the biggest mistakes I made was listening to 'articulate