[comp.sys.super] Marketing Hype, was Re: Cray tidbits

metzger@convex.com (Robert Metzger) (07/04/90)

In article <103645@convex.convex.com> ddt@convex.COM (David Taylor) writes:

>say that the majority of the 10 SPEC benchmarks smile favorably on the
>Convex C-series computers, especially when you consider the price of the
>computer.  A couple of them might blow your formidable mind (regardless of
>price), but you'll have to wait until we're ready to unveil them.

>be very close.  I've made trial runs of the SPECthruput as well.  The C-series
>once again performed very well.  I'll keep you posted of the release date for
>the actual numbers.

>with a customer's typical load.  Convex's do what they were designed to do
>/extremely/ well.  Vectorization and parallelization are very important
>factors for most of our customers.  Therefore, our customers are usually very
>happy with the product.  We have the /best/ machines in our price bracket for
>semi-vectorizable/parallelizable jobs.

While I may agree with your assertions about CONVEX products, (I work at
CONVEX too) I think you have done a dis-service to your (temporary) employer
by propagating what appears to be a lot of unsubstantiated marketing hype over
the entire USENET world.  We don't need summer students doing our marketing.

Leave the adverbs and adjectives ("smile favorably","blow your formidable mind",
"performed very well", "/extremely/ well", "/best/") to the customers.
If they like what we sell them, they will be far more eloquent (and believable)
in praising our products than we could be, and if not, we have no one to blame
but ourselves.

Robert Metzger				CONVEX Computer Corporation
3000 Waterview Parkway			P.O. Box 833851
Richardson, TX, 75083-3851		(214)-497-4000