[comp.sys.super] Le Roi est Mort

fouts@bozeman.ingr.com (Martin Fouts) (07/09/90)

What do you mean by "dead"  Eugene?  I've heard that 16 bit systems
were dead, and then discovered that DEC sold many hundreds of millions
of dollars worth of PDP11s last year.  I've heard that mainframes were
dead, but IBM is still the biggest company in the computer business.
If you mean it is time for a nomenclature change, I agree, so here
goes my entry in the obfsucate the nomenclature contest.  There are
two dimensions, size and price.  The chart is accurate now, but will
be obsolete before everyone on the list sees it.  Not all positions
have an entry, because not all niches are filled yet.  (VCs take note
;-)
               < 5k      < 10K          < 100K        < 1 M        > 1 M

     Portable  Portable  Portable
               PC        Supercomputer

     Desk Top            Loss          Personal     Serious      Milspec
               PC        Leader        Workstation  Workstation  Workstation

   Cabinet in  Milspec   PC                         Workstation
Computer room  PC        Supercomputer Workstation  Supercomputer

     Multiple                                       Departmental
     Cabinets                                       Supercomputer Supercomputer

As you can see, we only have three classes of computers:

           PC:  Mine and mine only.

  Workstation:  Mine, but you can use it once in a while.

Supercomputer:  Marketing needed better advertising copy

Adjectives are used to distinguish prices.
--
Martin Fouts

 UUCP:  ...!pyramid!garth!fouts  ARPA:  apd!fouts@ingr.com
PHONE:  (415) 852-2310            FAX:  (415) 856-9224
 MAIL:  2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA, 94303

If you can find an opinion in my posting, please let me know.
I don't have opinions, only misconceptions.

fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (RICE DON D) (07/10/90)

In article <543@garth.UUCP>, fouts@bozeman.ingr.com (Martin Fouts) writes...

>What do you mean by "dead"  Eugene?  I've heard that 16 bit systems
>were dead, and then discovered that DEC sold many hundreds of millions
>of dollars worth of PDP11s last year.  I've heard that mainframes were
>dead, but IBM is still the biggest company in the computer business.

Do we all believe what Datamation says?  No, but here it is anyway, from
the June 15 1990 issue (p 188):
  In 1989, the mainframe died.  In its place, the POWERframe was born--
  the high end in a trio of new computing architectures to emerge for the
  1990s. ...
  The mainframe was _main_ because it was the central point of residence
  of shared logic--the host. ...
  POWERframes.  Characterized by the ability to interface with different
  forms of databases, these machines have parallel processors sharing an
  organizationally common memory and storage hierarchy. ...
  SERVERframes.  Unique in their ability to serve up a locally shared
  database to a work group or a single user, these machines also can access
  organizationally collective databases.
  CLIENTframes.  Home of all new applications and all human interface features,
  these machines eventually will allow users to automatically generate their
  own applications. ...

I don't know if anyone other than the author uses the above definitions, which
sound suspiciously like they were taken from an IBM sales brochure.  Capping
the -frame prefix looks like terminally cute marketingese.  I don't think that
we, the users, have much control over terminology.  Even if we resist the use
of such odious neologisms, the marketing people push them and the people who
buy the machines for us to use mostly like using them (you too can use the
latest technobabble in lieu of original thought!) so we end up using them to
communicate with the salescritters and administrative purse-holders.

Maybe this is what really happened at the Tower of Babel.  The different
project teams got so deeply into their own jargons that they no longer
knew what the others were talking about...

Don Rice
fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu
fnddr@alaska (bitnet)

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (07/11/90)

fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (RICE DON D) writes:

>Capping the -frame prefix looks like terminally cute marketingese.

You bet.  What's the derivation of "mainframe" anyway?  Where does the frame
come from?  It isn't very likely that history or usage will make that
meaningful in such coined travesties as "serverframe".

>I don't think that
>we, the users, have much control over terminology.
>...(you too can use the latest technobabble in lieu of original thought!)

Orwell warned us about this.  Looks like "Politics and the English
Language" should be issued in a new edition on "Technology Marketing
Hype and the English Language".

>...Maybe this is what really happened at the Tower of Babel.  The different
>project teams got so deeply into their own jargons that they no longer
>knew what the others were talking about...

Cute analogy.  Last I heard the computer Tower of Babel was all
the different programming languages.  I think the problem you
point to, though, has become a bigger waste of time, money, talent.

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
Drop in next time you're in the tri-planet area!