[comp.sys.super] What is RQS?

bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) (01/06/91)

In article <012352.8054@timbuk.cray.com> glover@sequoia.cray.com (Roger Glover) writes:
>CRI also supports a subset of NQS called RQS, whose purpose is to pass
>batch jobs from a smaller UNIX box to a CRI machine.  For example, I have
>used RQS to submit from a Sun-3/60 to a CRAY.  I am not sure what other
>UNIX-based systems RQS will support.

What I would like to be able to do is the following:

Say I have an account on a remote supercomputer which runs NQS.  I
want to be able to submit a job on my local workstation (also running
NQS or similar) and have it transferred to the remote machine to run
under my account there and when its done have the log file transferred
back here It would also be nice to be able to 'qstat' 'remote's
queues.

The problem is that 'remote' has thousands of users scattered across
the country, and the management of the machine isn't about to
configure every user's local system into the NQS setup, quite
understandably, I think.

Is there/will there be a mechanism by which this would be possible?
As far as I can tell, even CRI's NQS requires that every machine it is
willing to speak to be defined (via qmapmgr(1M) ).  How about a more
"casual" way of submitting jobs?  The verification method for remote
jobs is just using .rhosts, so why require that all network hosts be
listed?  Why not accept my connection as long as I can identify myself
sufficiently using the same method?

And to bring the the message I referenced, how does something like RQS
fit into this?  I've never heard of it & the Unicos 5.1 sites I have
access to don't have a man page or anything (there is an NQS man
page).

Thanks for info and ideas.
--
David Bernholdt			bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu