[comp.sys.super] VLIW machines?

kuszewsk@euler.biology.yale.edu (John Kuszewski) (05/23/91)

Hi!

Does anyone know if anyone is working on bringing a VLIW machine to market?
Multiflow had a great technology.  Aslo, can anyone give me some solid
background references on VLIW architecture (esp. the memory architecture)?  All
the arch. books I've seen make no mention of VLIW.

Thanks.

---
John Kuszewski
kuszewsk@euler.biology.yale.edu

wadswort@babss.UUCP (John H. Wadsworth) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.144817.23820@cs.yale.edu> kuszewsk@euler.biology.yale.edu writes:
>Hi!
>
>Does anyone know if anyone is working on bringing a VLIW machine to market?
>Multiflow had a great technology.  Aslo, can anyone give me some solid
>background references on VLIW architecture (esp. the memory architecture)?
>Allthe arch. books I've seen make no mention of VLIW.

Several firms bought rights to the compiler and I expect they will be
offering some variation within the next few years. For a good book on
vliw see the "Bulldog" compiler book put out by Yale Press. The Multiflow
founders were all from Yale and some assisted with the book.

You could also stop by and I'll give you a technical reference book.
BTW, Multiflow is still alive and  the machines are still available
as well as technology deals. Call or write me if you're interested.

Bell Atlantic Business Systems Services
John H. Wadsworth  {uunet,yale}!babss!wadswort    (203)488-5377

benseb@grumpy.sdsc.edu (Booker Bense) (05/24/91)

In article <1349@b1.babss.UUCP> wadswort@babss.UUCP (John H. Wadsworth) writes:
>In article <1991May23.144817.23820@cs.yale.edu> kuszewsk@euler.biology.yale.edu writes:
>>Hi!
>>
>>Does anyone know if anyone is working on bringing a VLIW machine to market?
>>Multiflow had a great technology.  Aslo, can anyone give me some solid
>>background references on VLIW architecture (esp. the memory architecture)?
>>Allthe arch. books I've seen make no mention of VLIW.

[ stuff deleted ]

- I believe Alliant considers their FX8000 machines to be VLIW ( Very
Long Instruction Word for the lurkers out there ). Too bad Alliant
doesn't have VLTBC (Very Long Time Between Crashes) %-)!!!

- Booker C. Bense
prefered: benseb@grumpy.sdsc.edu	"I think it's GOOD that everyone
NeXT Mail: benseb@next.sdsc.edu 	   becomes food " - Hobbes

colwell@pdx023.pdx023 (Robert Colwell) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.144817.23820@cs.yale.edu> kuszewsk@euler.biology.yale.edu (John Kuszewski) writes:

   Does anyone know if anyone is working on bringing a VLIW machine to market?
   Multiflow had a great technology.  Aslo, can anyone give me some solid
   background references on VLIW architecture (esp. the memory architecture)?  All
   the arch. books I've seen make no mention of VLIW.

John,

   1) no comment on anyone bringing a VLIW to market (Alliant's isn't)

   2) thanks for the MFCI plug, it was a great technology and it deserved
      more user time than it got

   3) we wrote two arch papers while there, the first in IEEE Transactions
      on Computers, Aug. 1988, the second in 1990's Supercomputing Conf.,
      and Chandra Joshi wrote a paper on the memory system arch that will
      appear in this year's Parallel Processing Conf. in Chicago.

   4) Actually the newer arch books. like Patterson/Hennessy do have a
      section on VLIWs.

Bob Colwell  colwell@ichips.intel.com  503-696-4550
Intel Corp.  JF1-19
5200 NE Elam Young Parkway