[comp.sys.super] Supercomputer conferences

eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (06/25/91)

The Conference just held in Santa Clara was dull.
I would hope that most companies in attendence didn't lose money.

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  Resident Cynic, Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene

slamont@network.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.172633.5978@nas.nasa.gov> eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) writes:
>The Conference just held in Santa Clara was dull.
>I would hope that most companies in attendence didn't lose money.

It wasn't a conference.  It was a trade show.  I hope the organizer *did* lose
money. :->

							spl (the p stands for
							pondering the copy of
							Pixel thrust upon me
							by a mysterious person
							with a back pack...)
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (408) 646-2752 -- a guest at network.ucsd.edu --
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93943

dprcxm@marais.ARCO.COM (Chuck Mosher) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun24.172633.5978@nas.nasa.gov>, eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) writes:
> The Conference just held in Santa Clara was dull.
> I would hope that most companies in attendence didn't lose money.

I got a lot out of this conference.  Good presentations by users from
industry, a lot of equipment in a small area, plenty of lively
discussions on parallel processing.

I was especially encouraged by the progress in mass storage systems.
We need Terabytes near-line with 10 MB/s transfer rates,
100 Gbytes on-line with 100 MB/s rates. Products are now showing up
that can deliver these rates.

The panel discussion featuring top executives from Cray, Convex, Intel,
and NCube was especially illuminating.  Everybody's talking MPP.
Good news for us users.

--
----+----1----+----2----+----3----+----4----+----5----+----6----+----7--
| Chuck Mosher     | Internet : ccm@arco.com     | Who needs an editor |

eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (06/27/91)

Oh, one possible outcome of this meeting....
I was talking with Bence Gerber of CRI, Ron Levine, and others.
Richard Friedman are you reading this?

We are thinking of holding a ten year reunion (next year) of our
failed attempt to start ACM/SIGBIG (in the local Bay Area).
It will be ten years ago that Mary Fowler, George Michael, Marcie Smith,
and I tried.  We can hold a wake for Sid.  We should also invite
Ken Muira, Ron Z.* [the last name in the IBM Santa Teresa phone as
he called himself.]  We could also invite some of the local speakers
we had at the time on various platforms and applications (John George
and Nelson Bye from Convex are still around).

Mary unfortunately did not get enough support from management
and is now at PG&E Nuclear.  I resigned because I felt I appeared a
political detriment for a few who didn't think WWII ended,
but I ran the SIGGRAPH local group for a successful term (and we
did cover supercomputing).

rchrd@well.sf.ca.us (Richard Friedman) (06/29/91)

eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) writes:

>Oh, one possible outcome of this meeting....
>I was talking with Bence Gerber of CRI, Ron Levine, and others.
>Richard Friedman are you reading this?

>We are thinking of holding a ten year reunion (next year) of our
>It will be ten years ago that Mary Fowler,
Yes indeed I'm reading this!  Sounds like a good idea, especially
now that things are changing so fast in the big computer world.
Long time CDC/CRAY sites are changing their stripes.  Just
noticed that the Univ of London is replacing their Cray YMP
with a CONVEX. A move away from Minnesota computer technology
to Texas!  And Cray lost out to Tokyo over in Canada with the
Weather service.  SO we'd better have a meeting and
nostalize one last time ..
--
\/Richard Friedman (415)540-5216  |     rchrd@well.sf.ca.us  \/