[gnu.gcc.bug] Intel 386 GNU CC

eric@CS2.WSU.EDU (Eric Schneider - System Manager) (10/19/88)

Well, first of all, this is not exactly a bug, but I don't know where else
to send a message of this sort.

One thing that is worth noticing about the GNU CC compiler is that on all
the platforms except the 386, it is just another C compiler in addition
to the system C compiler.  For an 80386 box running a version of System V
such as that from MicroPort, it is possible to purchase just the run-time
system and no C compiler.  If a fully operation version of CC (cc, as, ld)
for the Intel 80386 were available, this would provide an alternative to
a commercial product, with the substantial added bonus of getting the source
code.

Is there any plan to add 80386 support to 'gas' and the GNU loader (assuming
MicroPort sysV is COFF compatible, this may be trivial?)?

Finally, since this is probably not the place to discuss topics such as this,
where would it be best done?

			Eric Schneider, System Manager
			Computer Science Department
			Washington State University
			Pullman, WA  99164-1210
			[eric@hodge.wsu.edu]

eric@CS2.WSU.EDU (Eric Schneider - System Manager) (10/19/88)

Well, first of all, this is not exactly a bug, but I don't know where to
send messages of this sort so here goes...

One thing I have noticed about the GNU CC compiler is that for most of the
systems on which it will run, there is already a system C compiler.  One
notable exception to this is the version for the Intel 386 proccessor.  It
is possible to buy an 80386 box and a System V compatible operating system
withouty a C compiler.  It would be nice to have available a fully functional
version of GNU CC for the 80386.  This would include cc, as, ld and finally
the C library.

In the short term, are there any plans to add 80386 support to 'gas'?

On a final note, where is the appropriate place to send discussion of this
sort?

ewerlid@kuling.UUCP (Ove Ewerlid) (10/22/88)

In article <8810190301.AA21051@cs2.wsu.edu> eric@CS2.WSU.EDU (Eric Schneider - System Manager) writes:

>Is there any plan to add 80386 support to 'gas' and the GNU loader (assuming
>MicroPort sysV is COFF compatible, this may be trivial?)?
Work is being done on a 386 port for GAS.
When did working with COFF get trivial!

>Finally, since this is probably not the place to discuss topics such as this,
>where would it be best done?
I think this group is the right place for this type of questions.
However, one don't want to answer questions when one can hack instead.
Isn't this the third question from the same originator..........