[gnu.gcc.bug] GCC won't compile on a Sun-2

daemon@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Admin) (10/26/88)

I have not been able to create GCC for the Sun-2 running Version
3.5 of SUNOS. The code compiles fine using pcc, and then fine
again when the pcc version  compiles the code, but to create the
stage 2 compiler (GCC compiled with itself) I get the following:

   stage1/gcc -g  -Bstage1/  -c genrecog.c
   stage1/gcc -g  -Bstage1/   -o genrecog genrecog.o rtl.o obstack.o
       ./genrecog md > tmp-insn-recog.c
   Two actions at one point in tree.
   after 2 instruction definitions
   *** Error code 33

   Stop.

This has happened with 1.26, 1.27, 1.28 and 1.29.  Any pointers?

Greg Tarsa
Tarsa Software Consulting
--------------------------------
	       33 Seabee Street
	       Bedford, NH 03102
	       (603)668-8349		{decuac,decvax}!elijah!tarsa

weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) (10/27/88)

In article <8810261140.AA01705@elijah.uucp>, daemon@tut (Admin) writes:
>I have not been able to create GCC for the Sun-2 running Version
>3.5 of SUNOS.
>This has happened with 1.26, 1.27, 1.28 and 1.29.  Any pointers?

I don't recall such a problem with 1.26 through 1.28, but there were
several problems with 1.29.  Some of these were fixed in 1.30, and
I've recently discovered what I think is the "real" problem hiding
behind much of the lossage on Sun-2s: gnulib routines stepping on
registers that GCC thinks are preserved.  I've sent a message to RMS
describing the problem in more detail.
Joe Weening                                Computer Science Dept.
weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU          Stanford University