[gnu.gcc.bug] very wild switch behavior in gcc-1.30

michael@pbinfo.uni-paderborn.de (Michael Schmidt) (11/01/88)

In article <8810271224.AA18236@rikers.ksr.com>, ksr!benson@HARVARD (Benson I. Margulies                         Kendall Square Research Corp.) writes:

>And slower to run. The big cases in here were a deliberate tradeoff of
>maintenance for speed. The Sun compiler handles them just fine with
>the idiot -J argument that demands 32 bit branches. Silly me, I assumed
>that in the absence of such an argument to gcc that either (1) it always
>use long branches, or more likely (2) it used them when the switch
>was big enough to require them. Color me slightly disallusioned.

And when you are using gas, you get the following:

michael@hanna <~> gas -v -J
Gnu assembler version 1.18 (I guess.)
gas: I can do better than -J!
--
    Michael Schmidt, Universitaet-GH Paderborn, FB 17, Warburger Str.100,
                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany