[gnu.gcc.bug] problem with making gcc on Sun4/SunOs 4.0

ndd@SUNBAR.MC.DUKE.EDU (Ned Danieley) (11/09/88)

in trying to make gcc on a 4/110 running SunOs 4.0, I received a
signal 6 from cc1 when compiling toplev.c:

make CC=stage1/gcc CFLAGS="-g -O -Bstage1/"
(other subroutines)
stage1/gcc -g -O -Bstage1/ -sun4 -c  toplev.c
stage1/gcc: Program cc1 got fatal signal 6.
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `toplev.o'

I appear to have correctly followed the installation instructions;
is this a bug?

Ned Danieley (ndd@sunbar.mc.duke.edu)
Basic Arrhythmia Laboratory
Box 3140, Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC  27710
(919) 684-6807 or 684-6942

dmk@dmk3b1.UUCP (David Keaton) (11/10/88)

)
)make CC=stage1/gcc CFLAGS="-g -O -Bstage1/"
)(other subroutines)
)stage1/gcc -g -O -Bstage1/ -sun4 -c  toplev.c
)stage1/gcc: Program cc1 got fatal signal 6.
)*** Error code 1
)make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `toplev.o'
)
)I appear to have correctly followed the installation instructions;
)is this a bug?

Yes, it's a bug, but the bug is Sun's.  They have changed the meaning
of the -B flag to cc.  Their equivalent of "-Bstage1/" would be
"-Qpath stage1".
--
					David Keaton
					dmk%dmk3b1@uunet.uu.net

frank@Morgan.COM (Frank Wortner) (11/11/88)

In article <468@dmk3b1.UUCP> dmk@dmk3b1.UUCP (David Keaton) writes:
>In article <8811091516.AA14509@sunbar.mc.duke.edu> ndd@SUNBAR.MC.DUKE.EDU (Ned Danieley) writes:
>)in trying to make gcc on a 4/110 running SunOs 4.0, I received a
>)signal 6 from cc1 when compiling toplev.c:
>)
>)make CC=stage1/gcc CFLAGS="-g -O -Bstage1/"
>)(other subroutines)
>)stage1/gcc -g -O -Bstage1/ -sun4 -c  toplev.c
>)stage1/gcc: Program cc1 got fatal signal 6.
>)*** Error code 1
>
>Yes, it's a bug, but the bug is Sun's.  They have changed the meaning
>of the -B flag to cc.  Their equivalent of "-Bstage1/" would be
>"-Qpath stage1".

I'm afraid you are incorrect.  The bug is *not* in Sun's C compiler.
Notice that the error comes from *gcc*, not *cc*.   While you are
correct in stating that the meaning of the '-B' flag of the Sun
compiler is different, you are not correct in attributing the failure
of gcc to execute correctly to this defect.  (Whether Sun was correct
in changing -B to -Q is another story ;-))

The documentation for gcc 1.30 states that the code generator for the
sparc architecture has bugs and will be fixed in the next release.  I
think that is the cause of Ned's problems.

--
						Frank

"Computers are mistake amplifiers."

exodus@cheers.uucp (Greg Onufer) (11/11/88)

From article <468@dmk3b1.UUCP>, by dmk@dmk3b1.UUCP (David Keaton):
> In article <8811091516.AA14509@sunbar.mc.duke.edu> ndd@SUNBAR.MC.DUKE.EDU (Ned Danieley) writes:
> )make CC=stage1/gcc CFLAGS="-g -O -Bstage1/"
> )stage1/gcc -g -O -Bstage1/ -sun4 -c  toplev.c
> )stage1/gcc: Program cc1 got fatal signal 6.
> )*** Error code 1
> )make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `toplev.o'
> )I appear to have correctly followed the installation instructions;
> )is this a bug?
> Yes, it's a bug, but the bug is Sun's.  They have changed the meaning
> of the -B flag to cc.  Their equivalent of "-Bstage1/" would be
> "-Qpath stage1".

No bug that I see...  David is not using Sun's C compiler.  -Bstage1/
is a flag for _gcc_ to tell it where to look.  Sun's CC should not be
called anywhere at this point (using the first generation gcc to compile
the second generation).  It looks like David installed everything
correctly so the bug may very well be in gcc.  I haven't gotten a
a trustable gcc running on the Sun Roadrunner for that matter.  Gcc-1.28
works fairly well, but only if it doesn't use __builtin_alloca (ie.  It
compiles itself with stage2/gcc with no differences in the object
files other than in the damned COFF headers-- why did Sun have to do
that to us?  Is a binary standard _that_ important to them?).  When
using __builtin_alloca, stage2/gcc cannot compile itself (or anything
with Optimization turned on).

Any clues?

--greg
--
Greg Onufer .. University of the Pacific .. Focus Semiconductor
.. exodus@cheers.uucp .. sun!daver!cheers!exodus .. 415-965-0604