[net.followup] Idea for a Christmas present?

In article <3810@think.ARPA> massar@think.ARPA (JP Massar) writes:
>   "A much more sinister arrival on the robot scene is named Prowler.
>Chillingly, buyers will be able to arm Prowler with machine guns and
>grenade launchers; ...
>  ...  The manufacturer claims that interest in Prowler has been high,
>                                    ... and certain foreign countries
>where government officials might prefer guards that will never revolt."

I don't know: sounds pretty revolting to me.  Also re-volting.  But
this should hampere resistors.

"Don't look at me.  I didn't say it.  It was the machine, the machine!"
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

berger@datacube.UUCP (01/02/86)

Isn't this the  same goal that ARPA is pouring millions of Dollars into
today? (The 5 AI projects that include the Pilot's assistant and foot
soldier robot).  These will be even more deadly.  Why is it that
the first Artificially intelegent devices we (humans) create are Killers?

Doesn't sound like good karma to me!

[Usual disclaimer twards employer....]

			Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644

ihnp4!datacube!berger
decvax!cca!mirror!datacube!berger
{mit-eddie,cyb0vax}!mirror!datacube!berger

dc@datlog.co.uk ( David Crone ) (01/16/86)

In article <745@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>>    "A much more sinister arrival on the robot scene is named Prowler.
>> Created by Robot Defense Systems in Colorado, Prowler has been designed
>> for use as a sentry to guard ...
>>                                         -- US Air magazine
>> -- JP Massar, Thinking Machines Corporation, Cambridge, MA
>

>Not to worry, JP. As anyone who's read Isaac Isamov can tell you, the
>First Law of Robotics will always prevail. *IF* Prowlers are ever built,
>they would experience the equivalent of a nervous breakdown the first time
>they were confronted with a situation where their programming ran contrary
>to one of the the Three Laws.
>
>			       Ensign Benson
>			       -Space Cadet-

The Three Laws of Robotics are great as long as someone remembers to program
the robot to follow them.....

				Dave (19th Nervous Breakdown) Crone