[gnu.gcc.bug] WANTED: "shared" extension to Sequent gcc

ham@polya.Stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) (01/11/89)

Michael Tiemann mentioned a version of gcc for some Sequent architecture
that added a new storaged type "shared" for data shared between different
threads in a process.  I'd like to make a similar extension to a vax
version of gcc.  Does anyone know where this version is available or who
did it?

Peter
--
Peter Ham			PO Box 3430	(415) 321-5746
MS Computer Science Student	Stanford, CA	ham@polya.stanford.edu

brooks@vette.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) (01/11/89)

In article <HAM.89Jan10084028@polya.Stanford.EDU> ham@polya.Stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) writes:

>Michael Tiemann mentioned a version of gcc for some Sequent architecture
>that added a new storaged type "shared" for data shared between different
>threads in a process.  I'd like to make a similar extension to a vax
>version of gcc.  Does anyone know where this version is available or who
>did it?
There is support for causing all load time allocated data to be
shared in GCC 1.32, enabled with the -fshared-data flag.  Patches
to GCC 1.32 backends to support -fshared-data  for the Sequent Balance
and Sequent Symmetry can be obtained from the file
pub/fshared-data.gcc-1.32 on the machine maddog.llnl.gov using
anonymous ftp.  These patches will probably be migrated into future
GCC releases.

I do not know if someone has patched the GCC front end to support
the Sequent style "storage class modifiers" shared and private.
Doing this or, more preferably, patching in shared and private
as "type modifiers" would be a very nice thing for support of
more sophisticated parallel programming models.  The parallel
programming model we use here preprocesses private data into arrays
for us to remove the need for compiler support of private data.

						Eugene