[gnu.gcc.bug] Problem using VMS debugger with GCC 1.34 output

dan%jeremy.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM (Dan Frommer) (04/08/89)

When debugging GCC 1.34 output using the VMS debugger, symbols are not
recognized.

Is this an assembler or a compiler problem? Has anyone seen this?

Dan

KASHTAN@IU.AI.SRI.COM (David L. Kashtan) (04/08/89)

|	From: dan%jeremy.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (Dan Frommer)
|	Date: 7 Apr 89 13:21
|	To: bug-gcc@prep.ai.mit.edu
|	Subject: Problem using VMS debugger with GCC 1.34 output
|
|	When debugging GCC 1.34 output using the VMS debugger, symbols are not
|	recognized.
|
|	Is this an assembler or a compiler problem? Has anyone seen this?
|
|	Dan

It is not a bug -- I never got around to finishing the VMS Debugger support
when I ported GCC to VMS.  It gets the line numbers (and still makes mistakes
sometimes on Scoping rules) but gets no variable declarations.  Want to add
the support?  Go to the GAS source and start thinking about how you would
turn UNIX ".stab" entries into internal descriptions of variables (and their
scoping).  The generation of the Debugger symbol table in the object file is
pretty straightforward once you have done that.
David
-------