[gnu.gcc.bug] Sun-3 installing problem

winckler@ira.uka.de (Joerg Winckler) (05/09/89)

I am trying to install the gcc-1.34 compiler on a SUN 3-60 under OS 4.0.
I run the config.gcc file with the argument 'sun3-os4'.
The first pass has no errors. Then I make 'make stage1' and
'make CC=stage1/gcc CFLAGS="-g -O -Bstage1/". That happend:

--- session protocoll begin ---
   (jw-java 80 )make CC=stage1/gcc CFLAGS="-g -O -Bstage1/"
   stage1/gcc -g -O -Bstage1/ -c -DSTANDARD_EXEC_PREFIX=\"/usr/local/lib/gcc-\" gcc.c
   stage1/gcc -g -O -Bstage1/  -sun3 -c  version.c
   stage1/gcc -g -O -Bstage1/  -sun3 -c  obstack.c
   stage1/gcc -g -O -Bstage1/  -o gccnew gcc.o version.o obstack.o
   _edata: ld: user attempt to redefine loader-defined symbol
   _end: user attempt to redefine loader-defined symbol
   _etext: /lib/libc.a(des_crypt.o): multiply defined
   *** Error code 1
   make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `gcc'
   (jw-java 81 )
--- session protocoll end ---

Can anybody tell me what was wrong ?
I know that mailing to germany isn't cheap. But I need HELP.

Thanks.

+ Joerg Winckler, University of Karlsruhe, West-Germany
+ email: winckler@ira.uka.de

tiemann@YAHI.STANFORD.EDU (Michael Tiemann) (05/09/89)

   Date:     Tue, 9 May 89 8:34:12 MET DST
   From: Joerg Winckler <winckler@ira.uka.de>

[...]

When I was in France, I needed to hack up a des_crypt.c file so that
emacs would compile, since the european SunOS 4.0 is really SunOS 4.0 EXPORT,
which is not shipped with such a library.  My suspicion is that
someone at your site has made a similar hack, and done so incorrectly.
You should replace des_crypt.o in libc.a with something which does not
contain these problem symbols, and instead just stubs out the
functions des_crypt.c is supposed to provide.  No GNU software I know
of calls these functions.

Michael

gordon%stats.ucl.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (Gordon Joly) (06/05/89)

> You should replace des_crypt.o in libc.a with something which does not
> contain these problem symbols, and instead just stubs out the
> functions des_crypt.c is supposed to provide.  No GNU software I know
> of calls these functions.
>
> Michael

Fixed in 4.0.1 EXPORT; are not _etext and _edata involved here, which appear
in GNU Emacs (18.54)?
Gordon.