[gnu.gcc.bug] gnu C predefines

barrett%hpisldab@HPLABS.HP.COM (Dave Barrett) (08/07/89)

From MAILER-DAEMON@hplabs.HP.COM Sun Aug  6 13:25 MDT 1989
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 89 11:26:54 PST
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@hplabs.HP.COM>
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
To: <barrett@hpisldab>

550 ai.mit.edu.tcp... 550 Host unknown
550 <rms%ai.mit.edu@hplabs.HP.COM>... Host unknown

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 89 13:25:08 mdt
From: Dave Barrett <barrett@hpisldab>
To: rms%ai.mit.edu@hplabs.hp.com
Subject: gnu C predefines

mc68000 is not normally pre-defined by HP-UX complers.

I have checked into the documentation I can find, here is the complete
list (from the cpp(1) man page):

PWB
hpux
unix
hp9000s200
hp9000s300

The documentation states that only one of hp9000s200 or hp9000s300 should
be defined, but the compiler actually defines them both anyway.  PWB
hpux and unix will be defined by all HP compilers.

I notice though, the the person that ported this before me also defined
the following:

mc68k

In reading your CPP manual, I wasn't sure whether to predefine "m68k"
or "mc68k".  It makes no reference to mc68k, so I assumed that the
person before me made a typo and I changed it to "m68k".  I also
added "mc68000" unconditionally to match your CPP documentation, and
added "mc68020" if the compiler was generating 68020 code.

Dave