[net.followup] Usenet should exclude South Africa

martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) (01/10/86)

In article <704@pucc-j> rsk@pucc-j (Wombat) writes:
>This may be premature, as I am not aware of any potential Usenet hosts
>in South Africa, but I think we should anticipate future developments
>and, as a body, refuse to connect any of our hosts to any host in South
>Africa until apartheid disappears from that country.
>--
>Rich Kulawiec  pucc-j!rsk or rsk@asc.purdue.edu

Nice try, but in my opinion that is a very bad idea.  The Net *purpose*
is the exchange of information and discusion of ideas.  Restrictions,
if any, should only apply to material goods.  Finding out how the people
there are thinking and what is *really* going on is an important part
in eliminating the idea of aparthied.  They only way of *forcing* a change
is to make as many people aware of the situation as possible - democracy
ya' know.  In fact, I would like to see such a connection occur; talk
about getting what you have to say out to PEOPLE :-).

			- Martin the Magician.

	- DISCLAIMER: these are all my own opinions, but hopefully
		      reflect those of others.

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (01/11/86)

In article <704@pucc-j> rsk@pucc-j (Wombat) writes:
>This may be premature, as I am not aware of any potential Usenet hosts
>in South Africa, but I think we should anticipate future developments
>and, as a body, refuse to connect any of our hosts to any host in South
>Africa until apartheid disappears from that country.
>--
>Rich Kulawiec  pucc-j!rsk or rsk@asc.purdue.edu

Um, err, well, there's lots of potential usenet hosts in the USA, maybe
we should (as a body of course) refuse to connect any of our hosts to
possible US sites until the USA stops interfering in Nicaraugua and
El Salvador.

Just a thought...  Just kidding... But, then again, maybe not...

Can't we keep this thing apolitical?
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (01/11/86)

Ridiculous!  "Let's ban the press from South Africa; let's
boycott all mail and telephone communications with South Africa..."

And so on.

Ridiculous.

Fortunately, it is a matter of individual choice of sites to
connect to South Africa, not a net-wide policy issue.

[ And no, we don't have any such connections.  Not that we
  wouldn't, as far as I'm concerned ]
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

~ And each day I learn just a little bit more ~
~ I don't know why but I do know what for... ~

jmoore@mips.UUCP (Jim Moore) (01/11/86)

> This may be premature, as I am not aware of any potential Usenet hosts
> in South Africa, but I think we should anticipate future developments
> and, as a body, refuse to connect any of our hosts to any host in South
> Africa until apartheid disappears from that country.
> --
> Rich Kulawiec  pucc-j!rsk or rsk@asc.purdue.edu

If the issue should arise, I would invite the opportunity to exchange
ideas with the people living with the situation in South Africa.
Should we follow the lead of Prime Minister Bote(sp?), and censor information
flow between South Africa and the rest of world? Economic sanctions obviously
do serve to put pressure on a country to behave in a particular manner.
But I fail to see what information flow sanctions could do except help
a repressive government hide its dirty laundry.

Jim Moore
MIPS Computer Systems
ucbvax!decwrl!mips!jmoore

dick@tjalk.UUCP (Dick Grune) (01/13/86)

Discontinuing communications is the last resort of the incompetent.
Would you stop mail (letter mail) connections with Albania, Lybia, Israel,
South Africa, Red China, the US, Tai-wan or any other country you
disagree with polotically, if you had the power?  Which ones exactly?
And how about telephone?

					Dick Grune
					Vrije Universiteit
					de Boelelaan 1081
					1081 HV  Amsterdam
					the Netherlands

pete@stc.UUCP (01/13/86)

Xpath: ukc eagle

In article <132@molihp.UUCP> martinl@HP-UX.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) writes:
>In article <704@pucc-j> rsk@pucc-j (Wombat) writes:
>>This may be premature, as I am not aware of any potential Usenet hosts
>>in South Africa, but I think we should anticipate future developments
>>and, as a body, refuse to connect any of our hosts to any host in South
>>Africa until apartheid disappears from that country.
>>--
>>Rich Kulawiec  pucc-j!rsk or rsk@asc.purdue.edu
>
>Nice try, but in my opinion that is a very bad idea.  The Net *purpose*
>is the exchange of information and discusion of ideas.  Restrictions,
>if any, should only apply to material goods.  Finding out how the people
>there are thinking and what is *really* going on is an important part
>in eliminating the idea of aparthied.  They only way of *forcing* a change
>is to make as many people aware of the situation as possible - democracy
>ya' know.  In fact, I would like to see such a connection occur; talk
>about getting what you have to say out to PEOPLE :-).

Surely, information counts as 'material goods'. Otherwise, why pay
for software, Reuters, etc?

Whether the sort of communication offered by USENET, where simple
disagreements seem to become raging personal feuds very quickly,
would be helpful in persuading the poor frightened paranoid people
of South Africa to return to rationality is doubtful to me.
--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...!mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	`I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn.'

elkins@ttidcc.UUCP (Richard Elkins) (01/13/86)

In article <704@pucc-j> rsk@pucc-j (Wombat) writes:
>This may be premature, as I am not aware of any potential Usenet hosts
>in South Africa, but I think we should anticipate future developments
>and, as a body, refuse to connect any of our hosts to any host in South
>Africa until apartheid disappears from that country.
>--
>Rich Kulawiec  pucc-j!rsk or rsk@asc.purdue.edu

Should we really play God with potential net-users in every country of
the world?  Can you guess their political and moral state of mind?
What if its a machine owned by black aficans?  Do we ask them what
color they are first?

To the contrary, the more information, ideas, and opinions which  flow
to the troubled spots of the world, the better.  We're talking about
lifeblood.

I have a feeling your intentions are good but I think that this
suggestion has immense potential for unintended harm.

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (01/13/86)

The subject of boycotting or not South Africa may be a legal one.

Does anyone know the current state of Government regulation on the
flow of technical information to South Africa?
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"It's a sort of mini-clone!"  Who said them, what story?

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (01/13/86)

In article <4061@mhuxd.UUCP> wolit@mhuxd.UUCP (Jan Wolitzky) writes:

>I'm not sure how threatened Pretoria would feel by a cutoff of Usenet,
>but if one were to consider the indispensible role of the South
>African passbook system in maintaining Apartheid, the indispensible
>role of IBM computers in maintaining the passbook system, and the
>indispensible role of U.S. computer professionals in maintaining IBM,
>then the possibility of a far more effective boycott might become
>apparent.
>--
>Jan Wolitzky, AT&T Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ; 201 582-2998; mhuxd!wolit
>(Affiliation given for identification purposes only)

This is a very interesting concept!

Would you mind elaborating a little on your statements? The possibilities
that you seem to suggest are rather far reaching indeed - as any one who
has come to depend upon computers for a great deal of their automation
should know.

Besides... suppose a small group of very bored and very intelligent young
hackers were to manage their way into Pretoria's Databanks. Hmmm....

Joel Rives
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

   "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
					<< Buckaroo Banzai >>

dave@quest.UUCP (David Messer) (01/15/86)

> This may be premature, as I am not aware of any potential Usenet hosts
> in South Africa, but I think we should anticipate future developments
> and, as a body, refuse to connect any of our hosts to any host in South
> Africa until apartheid disappears from that country.
> --
> Rich Kulawiec  pucc-j!rsk or rsk@asc.purdue.edu

Please don't do it!  I am not in favor of aparthied by any means, but
USENET doesn't need more censorship.  We are already deleteing
"politically incorrect" newsgroups and talking about more restrictions
every day.  We are missing a wonderful chance at truely having free
speech on a global scale.  I don't think the proponents of aparthied
in South Africa will be hurt by not hearing the views of the USENET
community.  (Sorry about the double negative. ;-)
--

David Messer   UUCP:  ...ihnp4!quest!dave
                      ...ihnp4!encore!vaxine!spark!14!415!sysop

martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) (01/16/86)

>> [rebuttle on disallowing communication with S.A.]

>>Nice try, but in my opinion that is a very bad idea.  The Net *purpose*
>>is the exchange of information and discusion of ideas.  Restrictions,
>>if any, should only apply to material goods.  Finding out how the people
>>there are thinking and what is *really* going on is an important part
>>in eliminating the idea of aparthied.
>
>Surely, information counts as 'material goods'. Otherwise, why pay
>for software, Reuters, etc?
>
>Whether the sort of communication offered by USENET, where simple
>disagreements seem to become raging personal feuds very quickly,
>would be helpful in persuading the poor frightened paranoid people
>of South Africa to return to rationality is doubtful to me.
>--
>	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	Aw, come on Peter!!.  How much information (read software) have
	you gotten off the net without paying for it.  If its on the net
	it is free, so why restrict what is free.
	Lets Give those "poor fightened people" a chance to voice what
	THEY think before *we* (read you) decide that they are hopelessly
	lost.  Personnally, I welcome with open arms any information I
	can find on the state of the world today.  Let the PEOPLE talk.

			Martin the Magician.

	DISCLAIMER: Once again, I stand alone on my pillar of purity :->>>.
		    Actually, if the net were world-wide and had no political
		    affiliations, at least the people of the net would know
		    what the people *who are involved in* political situations
		    are thinking.  A good thing, in my opinion - but just
		    a start.

putnam@steinmetz.UUCP (01/17/86)

In article <704@pucc-j> rsk@pucc-j (Wombat) writes:
>This may be premature, as I am not aware of any potential Usenet hosts
>in South Africa, but I think we should anticipate future developments
>and, as a body, refuse to connect any of our hosts to any host in South
>Africa until apartheid disappears from that country.
>--
>Rich Kulawiec  pucc-j!rsk or rsk@asc.purdue.edu

Considering all the talk we get in net.news.group and net.news about
  1) the impending demise of the net
  2) the horrible phone bills
  3) the incredible cost of sending yet another license plate, or a dinette
     set for sale, around the world
maybe it would be more punishment to _force_ the south africans to get Usenet,
and pay for all the phone bills.  (Maybe we could even reinstate net.flame,
and net.bizarre, just for them :-).

On a more serious note, the african nations that make the noise about south
africa import quite a bit of food and other 'necessaries' from them.  Sometimes
this is relabled to look less like it comes from south africa, but not always.
South african wine isnt bad (taint good, but taint bad) - and i bought it in
a store in Zaire, one of the countries that are fond of chastizing the
americans for trading with south africa.

I think it is probably far more effective to encourage companies, universities,
local governments... to stop investing in south africa, and to withdraw
investments already made there.
--
               O                   -- jefu
       tell me all about           -- UUCP: {rochester,edison}!steinmetz!putnam

dave@quest.UUCP (David Messer) (01/20/86)

> Does anyone know the current state of Government regulation on the
> flow of technical information to South Africa?

What has that to do with USENET?   :-)
--

greggt@ncoast.UUCP (Gregg Thompson) (01/24/86)

> This may be premature, as I am not aware of any potential Usenet hosts
> in South Africa, but I think we should anticipate future developments
> and, as a body, refuse to connect any of our hosts to any host in South
> Africa until apartheid disappears from that country.
> --
> Rich Kulawiec  pucc-j!rsk or rsk@asc.purdue.edu

	Don't involve Usenet into politics!