[gnu.gcc.bug] gcc 1.36 on DECstation

treed@fsg.UUCP (Timothy Reed) (10/09/89)

3rd posting:
I can't compile gcc 1.36 on a pmax running Ultrix 3.1.  Compilation
dies at tree.c - the compiler fails on va_dcl at line 1182 with a
snytax error.

Help from the gnu community would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Timothy Reed
Fusion Systems Group, Ltd.
..!uunet!fsg!treed

----output from make follows:-------

cc -c -g  -YBSD  -I. -I. -I./config tree.c
ccom: Error: tree.c, line 1182: syntax error
           va_dcl
      ----------^
ccom: Error: tree.c, line 1185: declared argument code is missing
        enum tree_code code;
      ---------------------^
ccom: Error: tree.c, line 1186: declared argument t is missing
        register tree t;
      -----------------^

jds@mimsy.UUCP (James da Silva) (10/10/89)

In article <5784@fsg.UUCP> treed@fsg.com (Timothy Reed) writes:

>3rd posting:

Do you mean this is your third posting of this problem with no reply?  If
you don't get a reply, chances are that no one knows the answer, or no one
has time to figure it out for you.  I don't think repeated postings of the
same problem to gcc.bug/bugs-gcc is appropriate.  Rather, you should try to
figure it out for yourself.

My apologies in advance if I misunderstood you.  If you HAVE investigated
this problem, please give us more details.

>I can't compile gcc 1.36 on a pmax running Ultrix 3.1.  Compilation
>dies at tree.c - the compiler fails on va_dcl at line 1182 with a
>snytax error.
>
>Help from the gnu community would be most appreciated.

How _exactly_ did you configure GCC?  Did you make ANY changes?

I do believe we are running Ultrix 3.1, and I had no trouble building
GCC, other than the memory leak I've reported.

>----output from make follows:-------
>
>cc -c -g  -YBSD  -I. -I. -I./config tree.c
	   ^^^^^
What's with the -YBSD option?  Its presence indicates that you at least
modified the Makefile; I can't find any reference to it in my copy of the
Makefile.

Are you mucking with the Programming environment?  Do you have PROG_ENV set
to SYSTEM_FIVE or POSIX?  I would guess that this is the problem; we don't
muck with the alternative Ultrix environments.  You are probably picking up
a wierd version of <varargs.h>.

Jaime
: domain: jds@cs.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds

srg@quick.COM (Spencer Garrett) (10/11/89)

In article <5784@fsg.UUCP>, treed@fsg.UUCP (Timothy Reed) writes:

> I can't compile gcc 1.36 on a pmax running Ultrix 3.1.  Compilation
> dies at tree.c - the compiler fails on va_dcl at line 1182 with a
> snytax error.

The gcc.diff-1.35-1.36 script truncates varargs.h, but does not
delete it.  Since the default -I search order includes ".", this
file is found instead of the system varargs.h, and va_dcl and
friends remain undefined.  The fix is to remove the empty
varargs.h.