[net.games.rogue] Questions - please help me!

twiss@stolaf.UUCP (Thomas S. Twiss) (03/30/84)

Subject: More questions-please help me!
Newsgroups: net.games.rogue
	Two questions that I need answered:
		1) In using a hold monster scroll, do you stand ON it, or
		   behind it.  If you stand on it, will the monster hit
		   you?

		2) I've been playing version 3.4 until our other machine
		   just got 4.22.  I ran across something really weird twice
		   now and I can't figure out how to survive it.  On lower
		   levels (2-5 I think) I've come to a room that it literally
		   crammed with monsters (Mostly H,S,J,K,B) and one E.  After
		   killing many monsters and getting lots of Exp, I notice
		   there is an item of some sort under each monster (oh, boy
		   I think!).  Then I notice that the Eye is moving (uh oh).
		   I can never hit the E so I get transfixed indefinately.
		   Either another monster comes up behind me or I starve.
		   Other eyes don't behave like this.  While I'm transfixed,
		   the room fills incredibly fast with wandering monsters and
		   all those lucious items are still there.  I've never heard
		   of this before.  Any help?  I would love to know how to
		   get through that eye.

			Danke schoen in advance.       Tom Twiss
						...{decvax|ihnp4}!stolaf!twiss

srini@ut-sally.UUCP (Srinivasan Sundararajan) (03/31/84)

1) With regard to Question 1, I too would like some info, viz., I used to think
just reading a hold monster/scare monster scroll would do. Now it looks like
you need to stand on it ?!! Any suggetions ? We run Version 5.3 here.

2) The only way to kill one of those floating eyes is to wield a bow and throw
arrows at it. Maybe quaffing a potion of blindness will help ?

sdh@rabbit.UUCP (S. Hawley) (03/31/84)

Tom Twiss expressed a common problem among rogueists. That is, the problem
of a monster room. (a room filled to, or close to, the brim with monsters).
I can't tell you why this happens. Perhaps a bug, maybe an accidental feature
(actually both of those are synonomous, one sounds more impressive..).

Eyes are allowed to move. Don't forget that. The only reason they seem
to be stationary at times is because they are asleep. I'm sure you've
noticed that other monsters sleep, eyes are just asleep most of the time.

If you want to see them awake read the scroll that disturbs monsters or
throw an arrow or some other object at an eye. That will wake them up
for sure. In monster rooms the eyes tend to wake up. I think this is
due to the other monsters bumping into them.

Whatever. Eyes are mobile!!

"Life.. don't talk to me about life" -Marvin

Steve Hawley
<allegra,alice>!rabbit!sdh

chenr@tilt.UUCP (Raymond Chen ) (03/31/84)

<Eat it!!>

Hold it, guys..

There's a difference between a hold monster and a scare monster.
A hold monster when read freezes all monsters within a certain
distance until you decide to wake them up.  (This is usually
done by delivering a blow to the head).  Then you deal with
them one at a time.  A scare monster will NOT be stepped on
by a monster.  This means that if you are standing on one,
the monsters will never try to step on it (and you).  VERY
useful for dealing with large, mean things as you thumb nose
and swing sword simultaneously.  One note:  I don't know about
5.3, but in the latest version (5.4, I believe), dragons breathe
now and then even when they're fighting hand-to-hand (or claw).
This can be a real bummer when you're low on hit points... Oh, well...

"I have a magic Wizard's staff, I think it's really swell,
 Whatever tries to slow me down, I blow it straight to ... "

--

From the Random Fingers of --

		Ray Chen
		{allegra | ihnp4 | mhuxi}!princeton!tilt!chenr

"It's amazing what a thousand monkeys and a few typewriters can accomplish..."

notes@iuvax.UUCP (03/31/84)

#R:stolaf:-159800:iuvax:9800008:000:1288
iuvax!apratt    Mar 30 22:56:00 1984

The scroll you are referring to is "scare monster", not "hold monster",
and yes, you have to drop it and stand *on* it for it to be effective.
When you stand *behind* it you will notice that monsters avoid it (they
won't step on a Scare Monster scroll; that's the root of it), but they
will just side- step it and attack you.

As for the rooms you mention, you have encountered what I
affectionately call a "party room".  Some of the creatures in a party
room are asleep, and some are awake, and the normal conditions (like
E's always being asleep) don't apply.  There are some ways of killing
E's which are awake that are less dangerous than others, but nothing's
definite. Also note that E's which *are* sleeping in party rooms can
*wake up* as you walk by them (unlike E's in non-party rooms).

Also note that party rooms can occur on any level (1-N), and the chance
seems to be about 1 in 40 or so of there being a party room on a given
level.  On lower levels, things get even worse: Nymphs are awake, and
the monsters are nastier in general.

I will mail you some suggestions for cleaning out party rooms. I post
this because the question is a good one for people who just got (or are
about to get) Rogue Version 5.x (?) or higher.

					-- Allan Pratt
				ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!apratt

mcewan@uiucdcs.UUCP (mcewan ) (04/01/84)

#R:stolaf:-159800:uiucdcs:34500009:000:1408
uiucdcs!mcewan    Mar 31 13:49:00 1984

I can understand people thinking that permanent transfixion is a bug, but
I always thought it was obvious that monster rooms (or "treasure rooms") were
a FEATURE. I'm not sure which versions of rogue have monster rooms, but for
those who haven't figured it out, here are the rules:

	Each level has some probability (1 in 20?) of having a monster room.
I don't know for absolute fact, but I'm pretty sure that there can not be more
than one on a level.

	Monster rooms are crammed with monsters and treasure (this much is
obvious.)

	The monsters in the room can be any monsters found on the current
level OR the next level down (E's can appear on level 1, A's on 2, etc.)

	The monsters are all somewhat aggravated. By that I mean that the
monsters are all awake or will wake up easily, even those that are usually
asleep (E's, L's and N's). Usually, most of the monsters are awake and the
rest will wake up as soon as you step next to them.

If you survive, a treasure room can really help your game by providing
a pile of magic items (although sometimes the "treasure" is all cursed
or relatively useless items.)  Just make sure that as soon as you realize
that you are in a monster room that you kill off any E's (or N's lower down)
immediately.

			The opinions expressed are my own and not
			necessarily those of any sane person.

			Scott McEwan
			pur-ee!uiucdcs!mcewan

	"Hitler was an idealist.""