[net.followup] Space Shuttle Donations

tom@stc.UUCP (02/03/86)

In article <56@druor.UUCP> jsk@druor.UUCP writes:

> I heard on a local radio station (KNUS) in Denver, Co. that
> donations for a replacement shuttle (2 billion dollars) are
> being accepted by the proper NASA authorities.

In those imortal words, "they cannot be serious, man" !!!

I join with the universal reaction of shock, etc at the loss of the
Space Shuttle but 2 billion dollars charity??!!  In the UK we managed
to raise 60 million pounds for Ethopia via 'Live Aid' which, for all I
know, may have included the USA's and Europe's proceeds as well.

I think its a bit much to expect the American people (or the world at
large, for that matter) to cough up for this one (especially if its used
to launch SDI).

--
(Roots Rockers)

wdm@ecn-pc.UUCP (Tex) (02/03/86)

In article <56@druor.UUCP> jsk@druor.UUCP (KennedyJS) writes:
>I heard on a local radio station (KNUS) in Denver, Co. that
>donations for a replacement shuttle (2 billion dollars) are
>being accepted by the proper NASA authorities.

    By law, NASA is prohibited from accepting donations earmarked for any
    specific program.  This became evident a few years ago when budget cuts
    forced a shutdown of the system monitoring the Mariner (I think) probe,
    and some people wanted to donate money to keep the program alive.

    NASA does accept donations, and I strongly urge people to donate, but
    be aware the money goes to the general fund.  In any case, I don't think
    that NASA has made the decision to build another shuttle.

kucharsk@puff.UUCP (William Kucharski) (02/03/86)

Why Christa?  Why not Judith?  Or for that matter the names of anyone else in
the crew?  I'm not flaming, just worried that people will begin to remember this
as the accident that "that school teacher got killed in," and will forget the
other six.

My donation will be sent shortly...

W. Kucharski
UW - Madison