[net.followup] Need help converting an old phone.

>      An aquaintance of mine has asked for some advise on converting an
> antique phone he has in his shop into a working, non-dialout extension.
> I have not yet seen the beast, but he tells me that it is an old crank-
> generator-and-battery-style telephone built by the Kelloggoo(?) company
> of Chicago and patented in 1901.

	That's Kellog, a predecessor of ITT.

>      From what little I know (or think I know) about telephones, I told
> him he would probably need a network (is that what they call that little
> box with all the screw terminals on it?) and a bell.

	Yes, you want a 425-type network, sold as a replacement part by
ITT, Northern Telcom, Comdial (Stromberg-Carlson), etc.  A ringer from a
"Trimline"-style telephone set would be easiest to install.

>      1.)  How do we implement the switchhook functions (and by the way,
>           just what are these functions)?

	The switchhook merely has to open one side of the telephone line.

>      2.)  Will the original microphone and speaker work?  Since I
>           haven't seen the phone yet, replacing them could range from
>           trivial to impossible.

	Assuming you have a carbon transmitter and electrodynamic receiver,
you should be okay; however, if the impedance and DC resistance of the original
elements is far off from today's 500-set counterparts, then you may be in
trouble trying to use a 425-type network.  If it is necessary to replace the
transmitter and/or receiver, a good source for some small (and therefore easy
to install in another enclosure) elements would be an old 52-type operator
headset.

>      3.)  With no dialing mechanism connected to the network, will the
>           phone still work in an answer-only mode?

	No problem.

>      4.)  Is there anything I am overlooking?

	You should be able to buy a 425-type network from a Graybar Electric
store, or other wholesale telephone distributor; or, you can scrounge one from
an old telephone.  You also need a wiring diagram from a 500C/D-type telephone
set to help you install the network.  Such a distributor should be able to
help you.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

galenr@shark.UUCP (Galen Redfield) (02/05/86)

[Mythological monster]

In article <1910@cbsck.UUCP> wkb@cbsck.UUCP (William K. Brummett) writes:

>Greetings,
>     An aquaintance of mine has asked for some advise on converting an
>antique phone he has in his shop into a working, non-dialout extension.

Who is the person?  Perhaps it is someone we all know!!! ;-)

>     4.)  Is there anything I am overlooking?

Can you say "netiquette"?  Good, I knew that you could!  There is an
appropriate group for this type of inquiry.  Finding the name of this
newsgroup is left as an exercise for the reader.  There once was an
appropriate newsgroup for this type of followup, but we don't have it
here at least.

>     I am intentionally distributing this to a wide audience.

Oh, we thought you were doing the wrong thing by mistake.  Since you
did it on purpose, you're not pardoned! :-}

By the way, why is a guy form AT&T going to the net for advice about
telephones??!!  Don't you guys know how they work, either? ;-)  Say,
is anyone from GTE listening??

What is the graphic in your signature?  A guy with his head up his ???

(Sorry for the flame, but I just couldn't resist!)

Toasty regards,
Galen.