[net.followup] Found, ear ring

wdm@ecn-pc.UUCP (Tex) (01/30/86)

In article <109@druxm.UUCP> smr@druxm.UUCP (RochatSM) writes:
>I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
>west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031

   I'll ask around to see if anyone here at purdue lost an earring in New
   Jersey in the last couple of days.

   Thanks for notifying us.

sutter@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (01/30/86)

> I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
> west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031

*** REPLACE THIS earring WITH YOUR dinette set ***

Would you please describe the gold rope more distinctly, so we can tell it
apart from all the earrings lost in this part of the country?  And what is
your area code and exchange, in case it happens to belong to a non-"AT&T IS"
employee somewhere in Ohio? :-)
--
-----
Human: Bob Sutterfield

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (P. D. Guthrie) (01/30/86)

In article <464@ecn-pc.UUCP> wdm@ecn-pc.UUCP (Tex) writes:
>In article <109@druxm.UUCP> smr@druxm.UUCP (RochatSM) writes:
>>I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
>>west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031
>
>   I'll ask around to see if anyone here at purdue lost an earring in New
>   Jersey in the last couple of days.
>
>   Thanks for notifying us.

I'll check around here (Illinois) also.  How about you people over in
Britain, France etc,  have you lost this earing?  I'm sure that with
100,000 people with access to this net, we'll have the person tracked
down in no time at all.
--

Paul Guthrie				`When the going gets weird,
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				 The weird turn pro'

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Siegal) (01/31/86)

In article <109@druxm.UUCP> smr@druxm.UUCP (RochatSM) writes:
>I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
>west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031

[with appropriate appologies to flame-haters]

I have carefully checked my girl-friend's schedule, and although she is
missing several earings, she has not been in the Denver area recently.
Thanks for your concern for the naked ears of the network.

Jeff Siegal - MIT EECS

grampa@gitpyr.UUCP (Mark W Fouraker) (01/31/86)

In article <497@ihdev.UUCP> pdg@ihdev.UUCP (55224-P. D. Guthrie) writes:
>In article <464@ecn-pc.UUCP> wdm@ecn-pc.UUCP (Tex) writes:
>>In article <109@druxm.UUCP> smr@druxm.UUCP (RochatSM) writes:
>>>I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
>>>west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031
>>
>>   I'll ask around to see if anyone here at purdue lost an earring in New
>>   Jersey in the last couple of days.
>>
>>   Thanks for notifying us.
>
>Britain, France etc,  have you lost this earing?  I'm sure that with
>100,000 people with access to this net, we'll have the person tracked
>down in no time at all.
>--
>
>Paul Guthrie				`When the going gets weird,
>ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				 The weird turn pro'
>					  - H. Thompson
I had a friend lose one in New York, maybe the wind blew it to New Jersey!

--
Mark W Fouraker
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!grampa

atsg@ssc-vax.UUCP (Tom Benzon) (01/31/86)

> I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
> west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031

I don't think this **really ** needs to be seen in Seattle.

david@dcl-cs.UUCP (David Coffield) (02/01/86)

In article <109@druxm.UUCP> smr@druxm.UUCP writes:
>I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
>west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031

Well, I'll check with Maxine and Liz, our secretaries, first.
Then I guess I'd better contact the BBC cos thats the best thing to do
with items of world news like this.

Flex.

"My expectations may be high I blame it on my youth"
--
UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!david
ARPA: david%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: Department of Computing

faunt@hplabs.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (02/02/86)

> In article <497@ihdev.UUCP> pdg@ihdev.UUCP (55224-P. D. Guthrie) writes:
> >>
> >>   I'll ask around to see if anyone here at purdue lost an earring in New
> >>   Jersey in the last couple of days.
> >
> >Britain, France etc,  have you lost this earing?  I'm sure that with
> >100,000 people with access to this net, we'll have the person tracked
> >down in no time at all.
> >--
> I had a friend lose one in New York, maybe the wind blew it to New Jersey!

Just because someone has a ignorant and stupid SA, you're making
such a big fuss.
--
    ....!hplabs!faunt	faunt@hplabs.ARPA    415-655-8604
HP is not responsible for anything I say here.  In fact, what I say here

ddl@tardis.UUCP (Dan Lanciani) (02/02/86)

	Careful!  If this keeps up, net.followup may have to be deleted
due to lack of disk space.  (Or was it high phone bills?)

					ddl@tardis.*

bill@sigma.UUCP (Bill Swan) (02/02/86)

In article <497@ihdev.UUCP> pdg@ihdev.UUCP (55224-P. D. Guthrie) writes:
>In article <464@ecn-pc.UUCP> wdm@ecn-pc.UUCP (Tex) writes:
>>In article <109@druxm.UUCP> smr@druxm.UUCP (RochatSM) writes:
>>>I found a gold loop earring [...]
>>I'll ask around to see if anyone here at purdue lost an earring in New
>>Jersey in the last couple of days.
>I'll check around here (Illinois) also. [...]

Actually, this posting came from AT&T in Denver, the same site that posted
the famous dinette set for sale.

Let's quit ragging on nj, they've cleaned up their act. AT&T Denver hasn't
been doing badly either. I've seen more inappropriate postings from AT&T
Illinois ("apt for rent", etc) than I have from Denver. It takes only one
inexperienced user to make a site look bad..
--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!sigma!bill

kgd@rlvd.UUCP (Keith Dancey) (02/03/86)

In article <109@druxm.UUCP> smr@druxm.UUCP writes:
>I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
>west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031

Dimwit!
--
Keith Dancey,                                UUCP:   ..!mcvax!ukc!rlvd!kgd
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,

greenber@phri.UUCP (02/03/86)

>I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
>west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031

Great!  I thought I had left it in my dinette......

--
------
ross m. greenberg

[phri rarely makes a guest-account user a spokesperson. Especially not me.]

kurt@fluke.UUCP (Kurt Guntheroth) (02/05/86)

Thank you very much for posting your finding of a lost gold ear ring.  It
happens that my wife lost a very similar sounding ear ring.  She was doing
the laundry in our home in Mukilteo WA, and it caught on a sock she was
putting into the dryer.

Presumably, when the sock (also missing) was sucked into hyperspace by
the action of the dryer, the ear ring became separated and arrived in your
parking lot.  If you would wrap the ear ring in a brown size 12 sock turned
inside out (to reverse its hyper-path) and put it in your dryer, it will
arrive back at our home, with at least moderately high probability.

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (02/06/86)

In article <603@sigma.UUCP> bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
>In article <497@ihdev.UUCP> pdg@ihdev.UUCP (55224-P. D. Guthrie) writes:
>>>I'll ask around to see if anyone here at purdue lost an earring in New
>>>Jersey in the last couple of days.
>>I'll check around here (Illinois) also. [...]
>
>Actually, this posting came from AT&T in Denver, the same site that posted
>the famous dinette set for sale.
>
>Let's quit ragging on nj, they've cleaned up their act. AT&T Denver hasn't
                       **
>been doing badly either. I've seen more inappropriate postings from AT&T
>Illinois ("apt for rent", etc) than I have from Denver. It takes only one
>inexperienced user to make a site look bad..

Speaking of NJ having cleaned up their act, just check out net.general for
cars for sale (again!!!). Not to mention used electronics garbonzo....

johnm@mako.UUCP (John McClintic) (02/06/86)

In article <22000001@hpcvma.UUCP> dennis@hp-pcd.UUCP writes:
>/***** hpcvma:net.general / druxm!smr / 10:58 am  Jan 29, 1986*/
>I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
>west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031
>/* ---------- */
>I think its mine.  Could you send it to me in Oregon, please?

::::::
No I belive it was mine.

My wife lost one gold loop earring that very same day. My wife and I
were on our return flight home, to Portland Oregon. Upon returning to
her seat after her visit to the restroom she had noticed that one of
her favorite gold loop earrings had mysteriously been removed from
her ear.  I imagined that the suction from a flushing toilet at our altitude
was intense enough to tear the thing out of her ear.  Of course she asked
me to look for it.  I immediately glanced out the window and sure enough
there was that earring floating down into the parking lot of AT&T.

We would be greatfull for its return, please put it in the mail today.
We will gladly pay the necessary postage.

Thank you

::::::

galenr@shark.UUCP (Galen Redfield) (02/07/86)

In article <1027@mako.UUCP> johnm@mako.UUCP (John McClintic) writes:
>In article <22000001@hpcvma.UUCP> dennis@hp-pcd.UUCP writes:
>>/***** hpcvma:net.general / druxm!smr / 10:58 am  Jan 29, 1986*/
>>I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
>>west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031
>>/* ---------- */
>>I think its mine.  Could you send it to me in Oregon, please?
>
>::::::
>No I belive it was mine.

???????????????????????

This really puzzles me.

No one has said whether it is a right earring or a left earring.

Also, no one wants to claim the gold rope, only the earring.

I'll take the rope!!

Thank you very much, please!

taylor@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP (Jem Taylor) (02/09/86)

In article <529@ssc-vax.UUCP> atsg@ssc-vax.UUCP writes:
>> I found a gold loop earring w/gold rope wrapped around it in the AT&T IS
>> west parking lot this morning.  Please call to claim. x84031
>
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>I don't think this **really ** needs to be seen in Seattle.
Nor in Glasgow ( Scotland ) . . .

	Have a nice day now !

kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) (02/10/86)

[Does this look like a flame ??? Well it might very well be so]

Seems like the time is right for creation of net.lost+found. Nobody can claim
that net.traffic in this area has risen to a degree where a separate news group
would be feasible.

Purpose of the newsgroup:

	a) Inquiries about lost items or data (missing articles included).
	b) Notifying of found items. (including articles appearing in strange
	   newsgroups)
	c) Fill up all found disk space on receivers computer!

						Kim Chr. Madsen.

mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Browne) (02/13/86)

In article <54@diku.UUCP> kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) writes:
>Seems like the time is right for creation of net.lost+found.
>Purpose of the newsgroup:
>
>	a) Inquiries about lost items or data (missing articles included).
>	b) Notifying of found items. (including articles appearing in strange
>	   newsgroups)
>	c) Fill up all found disk space on receivers computer!

I vote FOR the creation of net.lost+found, provided that it is aliased to
junk.  This way, whenever an AT&T employee loses something, an announcement
will not be transmitted to the world.  Moreover, this will prevent the
endless flaming that always follows a stupid post.  And if you look at this
newsgroup, the volume of flaming is much greater than the volume of
stupidity.  (Well, maybe not! :-) )
--
UUCP: ..!seismo!k.cs.cmu.edu!mcb		ARPA: mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu

"It came time to move, so I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two
blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch..."