[unix-pc.bugs] STIME April 20 on ps

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (09/20/88)

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?  My system was only up for a day,
but ps reports:

    UID   PID  PPID  C   STIME  TTY  TIME COMMAND
   root     0     0255  Apr 20    ? 1408:55 swapper
   root     1     0  3  Apr 20    ?  0:12 init
   root     2     0  1  Apr 20    ?  0:00 pagedaemon
   root     3     0  3  Apr 20    ?  3:49 windaemon
    gil   535     1  3 07:01:25  w1  0:06 ksh
   root  1209     1  3 22:44:08   ?  0:00 uugetty
    gil  1218   535  3 22:47:00  w1  0:01 postnews
    gil  1219  1218  9 22:47:33  w1  0:02 vi
   root   109     1  3 23:01:53  w1  0:26 cron
    gil  1221  1219 15 22:48:09  w1  0:00 sh
    gil  1222  1221 75 22:48:10  w1  0:01 ps

that my system processes were started on April 20.  Note that I did a
hardware reset when I booted the machine the last time.  Could this be
taking the time from a software R/T clock which hasn't been set yet until
the hardware R/T clock is copied to the software one during some phase of
the boot process?  I know that sometimes the STIME is correct, but I
really don't have the desire to keep rebooting the machine to find out when.

+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Software Systems              | {boulder,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil      |
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Internet: gil@icus.islp.ny.us          |
+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (09/21/88)

In article <369@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?

>							Could this be
>taking the time from a software R/T clock which hasn't been set yet until
>the hardware R/T clock is copied to the software one during some phase of
>the boot process?

When Unix boots, it uses the update time of the superblock of the root
filesystem to set its clock.  This is usually whatever time that disk
was last written to (usually just before the system went down).  On
the Unix PC the hardware time-of-day clock is set by /etc/rc, so any
processes created before that point will have incorrect STIMEs.  The
most annoying problem I have with this is that the boot time in /etc/utmp
is wrong, causing the "uptime" to be off by however long your system was
turned off.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

	.		.		(In Real Life: Mike Ditto)
.	    :	       ,		ford@kenobi.cts.com
This space under construction,		...!ucsd!elgar!ford
pardon our dust.			ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (09/21/88)

In article <369@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?  My system was only up for a day,
>but ps reports:
>
>    UID   PID  PPID  C   STIME  TTY  TIME COMMAND
>   root     0     0255  Apr 20    ? 1408:55 swapper

			 ^^^^^^

I just realized that my previous posting didn't do much toward explaining
this, so I'll take a guess...  could the date have been set to Apr 20 just
before you shut your system down prior to the most recent boot?