[unix-pc.bugs] Strange problem with the window icon on 7300

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (12/05/88)

I'm having a strange problem on my 3b1.  I'm running version 3.51a
of almost everything, I'm using the old uucico because the system
kept crashing with the new one in place.  But this problem has nothing
to do with uucico.

What happens is that /etc/wmgr core-dumps when run.  During boot-up I
can see it make the |w| icon up in the corner of the screen, one
strange thing is that there is a cursor in that little window AND that
if I start /etc/wmgr by hand the cursor disappears from the main
screen.  The |w| icon only lasts for about 10 seconds and then goes
away.  Now, of course I can't do any of the screen type functions since
there isn't anything listening for those events .. so I'm stuck with
basically one screen.

Every other part of the system is in good order and working fine.  For
instance the window driver works fine ... I can call up the phone manager
without problem & etc.

Any ideas?  I've done a little bit of checking.  Like the /etc/wmgr
file itself is the exact same file that was distributed on the
floppies.  I've gone through /etc/rc & such and don't see where
something might be executing out of order.  Perhaps its as simple as a
syntax error in one of the user agent files?  I'm extremely busy right
now with finishing the semester so I can graduate and I'm just living
with the problem.  But if anybody can give me an idea of what to look
at I'll be eternally grateful.

--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (12/06/88)

In article <10654@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:

>What happens is that /etc/wmgr core-dumps when run.

This will happen if you have a file in /dev with a name longer than 13
characters.  I hope this is your problem.

(I figured that out from a core file someone mailed me when the problem
appeard on her system!)

Perhaps someone who is still under warranty coverage should report
the problem to AT&T (and tell them how to fix it -- use strncpy
instead of strcpy!) ... or will AT&T listen if someone without a
current support agreement calls up with a bug report?
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (12/07/88)

In article <5438@cbmvax.UUCP> ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>In article <10654@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>>What happens is that /etc/wmgr core-dumps when run.
>
>This will happen if you have a file in /dev with a name longer than 13
>characters.  I hope this is your problem.

Yeah!  That's it.

Sometime during when I'd been fiddling around trying to set my
trailblazer up so that it would work with the phone manager, a
/dev/trailblaze9600 file was made.  And removing that let wmgr
work perfectly.

Lenny sent me a suggestion that my /dev/{window,syscon,systty,w[1-12]}
device files might have been wrong.  The only wrongness I saw there was
that syscon was linked to w2 instead of to window as the list of
files he sent me implied.  But changing that didn't change anything.