[unix-pc.bugs] bug in UNIXpc phone manager?

brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) (06/28/89)

If you don't use the UNIXpc phone manager, hit 'n' now.

Occasionally I have had the telephone unit connected to my 3b1 ring,
but when I pick up the handset, I get dead silence.  I once thought
that these were crank calls, but then I discovered that on those
occasions, a telephone set on the same line but in a different room
was NOT ringing.  In fact, if I let the computer phone ring, but
picked up the phone in the other room, (a) I'd get a dial tone, and
(b) the computer phone would cease ringing.  I am running UNIX 3.51a,
using the patched phone manager from the fixdisk, and have a two-line
configuration.

I've also noticed that after experiencing the mysterious ringing, if I
pick up the computer handset, (a) the phone manager status line fails
to switch from IDLE to ACTIVE, and (b) I do not get a dial tone.
SHIFT-F2 brings up the call screen normally, and that occasionally
"resets" the phone manager so that it once again recognizes handset
off-hook. Sometimes that's not enough and I have to toggle the line
select.  Toggling line select has so far never failed to get things
working again.

My conclusion is that the phone manager or the machine itself is
somehow generating spurious ringing.  This anomalous behavior happens
only very rarely, e.g., weeks or months apart.  Has anyone else
encountered this behavior?  Is it a known bug?
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania, Department of Computer and Information Science

jcm@mtunb.ATT.COM (was-John McMillan) (06/29/89)

Newsgroups: unix-pc.general
In article <487@manta.pha.pa.us> brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:

>My conclusion is that the phone manager or the machine itself is
>somehow generating spurious ringing.  This anomalous behavior happens
>only very rarely, e.g., weeks or months apart.  Has anyone else
>encountered this behavior?  Is it a known bug?

	We typically put a ring of garlic around a computer when this
	happens.  Then, we drive a stake through its CPU.

	The 3B1 lacks any circuits approaching the ring VOLTAGE spec's
	for a phone.  Perhaps you have a phone attached that is
	going mad.  ...Or is settling a grudge with you or the 3B1.
	Seriously, I'd certainly begin by moving the phone as far from
	the 3B1 (and planet) as possible.  Eating raw garlic before
	speaking into it is another obvious precaution.

	I've never heard anything approaching this sort of 3B1 tale
	before... but... news of the beginning of the end has to
	start somewhere!  Keep us posted on your journey through the
	bizarre... I'll try to help if I can see a way.

john mcmillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (06/30/89)

In article <1545@mtunb.ATT.COM>, jcm@mtunb.ATT.COM (was-John McMillan) writes:
> Newsgroups: unix-pc.general
> In article <487@manta.pha.pa.us> brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
> >
> >My conclusion is that the phone manager or the machine itself is
> >somehow generating spurious ringing.  This anomalous behavior happens
> >only very rarely, e.g., weeks or months apart.  Has anyone else
> >encountered this behavior?  Is it a known bug?
>

> 	for a phone.  Perhaps you have a phone attached that is
> 	going mad.  ...Or is settling a grudge with you or the 3B1.

This may or may not be related to your problem.  I have noticed that
if I have a pulse dial phone connected to the same line as the 3b1 and
I dial with it, the 3b1 will see it as ringing and the modem will answer.

If nothing else, this indicates that the ring detector circuitry can
be triggered by lower than "ringing" voltages.

Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.
UUCP:	...att!ihlpb!psfales	Naperville, IL 60566
Domain: psfales@ihlpb.att.com	work:	(312) 979-8031

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (06/30/89)

In article <487@manta.pha.pa.us> brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>If you don't use the UNIXpc phone manager, hit 'n' now.

I used to...until the problem you describe :-)

>Occasionally I have had the telephone unit connected to my 3b1 ring,
>but when I pick up the handset, I get dead silence.
[Bunch of theories described]

The phone hardware in the UNIX-pc has no way of making a phone ring.  If
you are using the OBM (on-board modem), the problem is probably that
the phone is getting switched from line 1 to line 2.  I used to have
problems like this often when switching back and fourth between lines.
The phone status says the phone is connected to line 1 when it's really
connected to line 2.

Keep an eye out for this.  The best medicine is to switch back and fourth
twice after making calls or doing other things with the phone manager
which might connect the phone to the other line.

>--
>Brant Cheikes
>University of Pennsylvania, Department of Computer and Information Science
>brant@manta.pha.pa.us, brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu, bpa!manta!brant

>Is it a known bug?

It is now :-)

------

bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) (07/01/89)

In article <487@manta.pha.pa.us> brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>If you don't use the UNIXpc phone manager, hit 'n' now.

<description deleted>
>somehow generating spurious ringing.  This anomalous behavior happens
>only very rarely, e.g., weeks or months apart.  Has anyone else
>encountered this behavior?  Is it a known bug?

Yeah, Brant, mine does it, too - have never been able to pin down just what
other activities cause it to do this. Weird. Seems to happen here more often,
though - say, once or twice a week.

                                 Bud Hovell

USENET: ...!{sun!nosun|tektronix!percival}!whizz!{bbh|postmaster|sysadmin}
USPO:   McCormick & Hovell, Inc., PO Box 1812, Lake Oswego, OR  USA 97035
MOTD:   "Vote NO!"