cph@ALTDORF.AI.MIT.EDU ("Chris Hanson") (12/28/90)

   Date: Mon, 26 Nov 90 15:27:53 +0100
   From: briand@ouessant.enst-bretagne.fr

   We are using MIT scheme at Telecom Bretagne, an engeener school in France
   (brittany). We have received new machines but we can't compile
   the 7.0 version beta for sun 4, SunOs 4.1.

   Is there a new version that runs on sun 4.?
   We can't use FTP for the moment (the connection must be installed
   with the INRIA).
   Is it possible to have a tape, that we will send back ?

   Do you know other universities that are using MIT Scheme on Sun in France ?

   Thank you.

   Our adress : Michel Briand,
		 dept Informatique
		ENST Bretagne
		BP 832  29285 BREST Cedex

From: mkatz@garlic.stanford.edu (Morris Katz)
To: bug-cscheme
Subject: Sun4 diffs to Scheme

Here are the changes which needed to be made to the release 7.0 of scheme as
distributed from Zurich to run on a Sun4/Sparc.  I have only had a chance to do
minimal testing of the executable, but it seems to operate as expected and the
changes are so minor that I see no reason to expect that problems will arise.
Morry Katz
katz@cs.stanford.edu

carbon% diff -c documentation/Install.unx.old documentation/Install.unx
*** documentation/Install.unx.old       Wed Jan 31 10:26:43 1990
--- documentation/Install.unx   Wed Jan 31 11:17:26 1990
***************
*** 20,25 ****
--- 20,26 ----
  hp9k800             HP 9000 series 800 running hp-ux
  sun3        Sun 3 running SunOS
  sun3-nfp      Sun 3 running SunOS, no floating point
+ sun4        Sun 4 (sparc) running SunOS

  If your machine is one of the supported types, skip to step 2.

***************
*** 53,58 ****
--- 54,60 ----
  hp9k800               m/hp9k800.h     s/hpux.h
  sun3          m/sun3.h        s/bsd4-2.h
  sun3-nfp      m/sun3.h        s/bsd4-2.h
+ sun4          m/sun4.h        s/bsd4-2.h

  - Read both the "machine" and "system" files for your machine; some of
  the files have notes indicating options which depend on your hardware
***************
*** 77,83 ****
  This should compile all the relevant files and link a scheme.

  - Note that we have not tried Scheme on anything but BSD, Ultrix, and
! HP-UX, so there may be some invalid assumptions in the code, and not
  all primitives will be implemented.  Hopefully it will come up,
  however.  The main problem might be the file "microcode/unix.c".
  HP-UX is very close to ATT system 5, so minor modifications of
--- 79,85 ----
  This should compile all the relevant files and link a scheme.

  - Note that we have not tried Scheme on anything but BSD, Ultrix, and
! `HP-UX, so there may be some invalid assumptions in the code, and not
  all primitives will be implemented.  Hopefully it will come up,
  however.  The main problem might be the file "microcode/unix.c".
  HP-UX is very close to ATT system 5, so minor modifications of
carbon% diff -c microcode/cf.h.old microcode/cf.h
*** microcode/cf.h.old  Wed Jan 31 10:31:11 1990
--- microcode/cf.h      Wed Jan 31 10:31:36 1990
***************
*** 38,43 ****
--- 38,44 ----
  #define PROC_TYPE_HPPA 3      /* HP Precision Architecture */
  #define PROC_TYPE_VAX 4
  #define PROC_TYPE_MIPS 5
+ #define PROC_TYPE_SPARC 6

  #include "s.h"
  #include "m.h"
carbon% diff -c microcode/config.sh.old microcode/config.sh
*** microcode/config.sh.old     Wed Jan 31 10:37:11 1990
--- microcode/config.sh Wed Jan 31 10:38:06 1990
***************
*** 88,93 ****
--- 88,98 ----
                cmp_file=sun-nfp/cmp68020.s
                cmp_link=cmp68020.s
                ;;
+       sun4)
+               system_file=bsd4-2
+               machine_file=sun4
+               mfour_file=bsd
+               ;;
        *)
                echo "$progname: unknown machine name: $machine"
                exit 1
carbon% diff -c microcode/m/sun3.h microcode/m/sun4.h
diff -c microcode/m/sun3.h microcode/m/sun4.h
*** microcode/m/sun3.h  Tue Jul 18 15:36:04 1989
--- microcode/m/sun4.h  Wed Jan 31 10:25:19 1990
***************
*** 1,7 ****
  /* -*-C-*-
!    Machine file for Sun 3

! $Header: sun3.h,v 1.1 89/07/18 22:36:04 GMT cph Rel $

  Copyright (c) 1989 Massachusetts Institute of Technology

--- 1,7 ----
  /* -*-C-*-
!    Machine file for Sun 4

! $Header: sun4.h,v 1.1 89/07/18 22:36:04 GMT cph Rel $

  Copyright (c) 1989 Massachusetts Institute of Technology

***************
*** 33,42 ****
  promotional, or sales literature without prior written consent from
  MIT in each case. */

! #define PROC_TYPE PROC_TYPE_68020

! /* Remove "-Dsun3" if you are running an older version of the operating
!    system.  If your machine doesn't have a 68881 coprocessor, remove
!    "-f68881" from this line and the LD_SWITCH_MACHINE line. */
! #define C_SWITCH_MACHINE -Dsun -Dunix -Dsun3 -f68881
! #define LD_SWITCH_MACHINE -f68881
  promotional, or sales literature without prior written consent from
  MIT in each case. */

! #define PROC_TYPE PROC_TYPE_SPARC

! #define C_SWITCH_MACHINE -Dsun -Dunix -Dsun4
! #define LD_SWITCH_MACHINE