[comp.lang.scheme.c] Edwin and manual for scheme

sylvan@mycroft.pol.umn.EDU (David Sylvan) (02/07/91)

Hi there.  We are trying currently to run scheme 7.0 here; so far we
have things running fairly smoothly.  But we don't know how to use the
Edwin editor.  We rummaged around and found edwin.tar.Z, ftp'ed it,
and unpacked it; but so far can't seem to load it when running scheme.
Is there some command that will do so; or is there a switch on starting
up?

We'd be happy to figure this out ourselves if we had some access to the
manual; but we can't find (anywhere) man.tar.Z.  Where can we get it?

Thanks much in advance.

--David Sylvan

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (02/08/91)

In article <9102062141.AA10079@mycroft.pol.umn.edu> sylvan@mycroft.pol.umn.EDU (David Sylvan) writes:

>>   Hi there.  We are trying currently to run scheme 7.0 here; so far we
>>   have things running fairly smoothly.  But we don't know how to use the
>>   Edwin editor.  We rummaged around and found edwin.tar.Z, ftp'ed it,
>>   and unpacked it; but so far can't seem to load it when running scheme.
>>   Is there some command that will do so; or is there a switch on starting
>>   up?
Start up scheme as
scheme -edwin
Once you have the scheme prompt issue the command
(edit)
An emacs-like buffer will appear and you can use C-h to get help.
If you are running scheme from gnu-emacs you can also take advantage
of the texinfo files provided.

Hardy Mayer
----****----
Professor Meinhard E. Mayer
Department of Physics
University of California
Irvine, CA, 92717
USA

jinx@zurich.ai.mit.edu (Guillermo J. Rozas) (02/08/91)

   From: hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy))
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.scheme.c
   Date: 8 Feb 91 03:43:10 GMT

   In article <9102062141.AA10079@mycroft.pol.umn.edu> sylvan@mycroft.pol.umn.EDU (David Sylvan) writes:

   >>   Hi there.  We are trying currently to run scheme 7.0 here; so far we
   >>   have things running fairly smoothly.  But we don't know how to use the
   >>   Edwin editor.  We rummaged around and found edwin.tar.Z, ftp'ed it,
   >>   and unpacked it; but so far can't seem to load it when running scheme.
   >>   Is there some command that will do so; or is there a switch on starting
   >>   up?
   Start up scheme as
   scheme -edwin
   Once you have the scheme prompt issue the command
   (edit)
   An emacs-like buffer will appear and you can use C-h to get help.
   If you are running scheme from gnu-emacs you can also take advantage
   of the texinfo files provided.

This is only true of release 7.1 .
The -edwin flag did not exist in 7.0 .

In order to start it up under 7.0, assuming that you already have a
band (edwin.com) use

scheme -compiler -band <pathname>/edwin.com

The -compiler option is used to tell scheme to allocate more memory
than the default.  If no band was specified, it would load a compiler
band as well.

Once this starts up,

(edit)

should work.

The band can be constructed from the binaries in the edwin directory
by doing

(begin
  (with-working-directory-pathname
    "<edwin directory pathname>"
    (lambda ()
      (load "make")))
  (disk-save "<lib directory pathname>/edwin.com"))

The binaries can be constructed from the .scm sources by doing

(with-working-directory-pathname
  "<edwin directory pathname>"
  (lambda ()
    (load "edwin.sf")