[comp.os.v] Monthly Description of Info-V

root@PESCADERO.STANFORD.EDU (System PRIVILEGED Account) (06/01/89)

This is a monthly posting describing the role of comp.os.v.

V is a distributed operating system developed at Stanford University by the
Distributed Systems Group, headed by Professor David Cheriton.  The mandate
for this group is to explore issues involved in high-performance distributed
systems.

Licensing information for the current version of V (Version 6.0) can be
obtained from Stanford University's Office of Technology Licensing.  Their
address is:

	Office of Technology Licensing
	Stanford University
	Encina Hall Rm 105
	Stanford, CA 94305

and the phone #:

	(415) 723-0651

Technical questions can be posted to this newsgroup or sent to
info-v@pescadero.stanford.edu.

Requests to join (or leave) the info-v mailing list should be sent to
info-v-request@pescadero.stanford.edu.

Tony Mason
Distributed Systems Group
Stanford University
mason@pescadero.stanford.edu

rcb@cccvs1.ncsu.edu (Randy Buckland) (06/01/89)

Ok, here's a question. What are the main features of V and what does it run
on?

Randy Buckland
rcb@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

root@PESCADERO.STANFORD.EDU (System PRIVILEGED Account) (10/01/89)

This is a monthly posting describing the role of comp.os.v.

V is a distributed operating system developed at Stanford University by the
Distributed Systems Group, headed by Professor David Cheriton.  The mandate
for this group is to explore issues involved in high-performance distributed
systems.

Licensing information for the current version of V (Version 6.0) can be
obtained from Stanford University's Office of Technology Licensing.  Their
address is:

	Office of Technology Licensing
	Stanford University
	Encina Hall Rm 105
	Stanford, CA 94305

and the phone #:

	(415) 723-0651

The currently distributed version runs on DEC Microvaxes and SUN-2 and -3
workstations.

Technical questions can be posted to this newsgroup or sent to
info-v@pescadero.stanford.edu.

Requests to join (or leave) the info-v mailing list should be sent to
info-v-request@pescadero.stanford.edu.

Tony Mason
Distributed Systems Group
Stanford University
mason@pescadero.stanford.edu

(Last Updated: 1 June 1989)

root@PESCADERO.STANFORD.EDU (System PRIVILEGED Account) (12/01/89)

[...]

(Last Updated: 6-Oct-1989)

cdash@BOULDER.COLORADO.EDU (Charles Shub) (12/02/89)

Gee, this group has not had a whole lot in it lately. Maybe it's time
to spark some interest with some questions?

In article <8912010810.AA03414@Pescadero.Stanford.EDU> you write:
>This is a monthly posting describing the role of comp.os.v.
>
> [ role and licensing info deleted ]
>
>The currently distributed version runs on DEC Microvaxes and SUN-2 and -3
>workstations.

And OF COURSE you need a server. What does the server run on??

anybody got the server up and not regularly crashing on a microvax running
Mt. Xinu 4.3 with NFS (and /V and /usr/V remotely mounted) ???

The server can run on a sun, but if you run the server on a sun, you can't
really boot microvaxen because the mvaxbootserver distributed only runs
on vaxen or microvaxen running unix, or have i missed someone solving this?
Will this problem go away if we upgrade our suns to version 4.whatever?

I understand some of these problems will go away under release 7 because
release 7 has V storage servers.  When will release 7 happen? What other
hardware will V run on? Has it been ported to a RISC processor? Which one(s)?

--

charlie shub  cdash@boulder.Colorado.EDU  -or-  ..!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!cdash
  or even     cdash@colospgs (BITNET)     -or-  (719) 593-3492