   Date: Thu, 15 Jun 89 11:15:49 EDT
   From: puerta@midway.ece.scarolina.edu.ARPANET
   Subject: FTP Moods

   I am attempting to use ftp to send files to a UNIX machine but
   invariably the system response is a "control connection closed"
   error message.  Surprisingly enough, this had been working fine
   for a long time. I cannot find any hardware problems or any
   changes in the UNIX machine that will explain the sudden change.
   In addition, I can ftp from UNIX to the explorer but when doing so,
   the UNIX host is not recognized by the explorer and is assigned an
   UNKNOWN-HOST name.  I am running 3.1 (yes, there still are some of
   us).  Any ideas?.

   Angel R. Puerta
   net: puerta@ece.scarolina.edu

No real answers here, just some thoughts.  Since your Explorer doesn't know
about the unix host, (hence the unknown-host name), check your namespace to be
sure the unix host is set up properly.  Secondly, try logging in to your unix
host and ftp to yourself (i.e., the unix host).  Does the control connection
get closed?  How about when you try to ftp from a different non-explorer host
to your unix host?

Maybe, just maybe, these might help diagnose the problem.

Steve