[comp.sys.ti.explorer] Explorer release > 4.1

Victor@JOHN-JAMESON.DOCS.UU.SE (Bjorn Victor) (10/18/89)

Lately, I've noticed on this list that people are discussing release 5
and 6.  This finally makes me ask: Is release 5 or 6 released?  If so,
when?  If not so, does anybody know when either is planned?

Obviously, the Swedish branch of Texas Instruments has closed down their
Explorer group, so I can't hope of answers from there.  The last I heard
from them was that release 5 would be for microExplorers only, but I
doubt it.  (We only have Explorer Is, I'm sorry to say).

Please tell me how things work in the US.  Have you received later
releases than 4.1 for Explorer Is?  Do you get subsequent patches on a
regular basis?  (The last patch tape I got was 3.2).  Do you get
informed of existing patches, or do you call/write somewhere to get such
info?

--Bjorn Victor		       Victor@John-Jameson.DoCS.UU.SE
Dept. of Computer Systems       or
Uppsala University, SWEDEN     Victor%John-Jameson.DoCS.UU.SE@uunet.UU.NET

"Please Santa, I want a CLOS implementation and an X11 server and a
faster filesystem and a ...."

miller@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller) (10/19/89)

    Date: Wed, 18 Oct 89  15:19:26 MET
    From: Bjorn Victor <Victor@john-jameson.docs.uu.se>

    Please tell me how things work in the US.  Have you received later
    releases than 4.1 for Explorer Is?  Do you get subsequent patches on a
    regular basis?  (The last patch tape I got was 3.2).  Do you get
    informed of existing patches, or do you call/write somewhere to get such
    info?

I don't know if it's indicative, but we have E-Is and IIs (no micros) and
also have heard nothing since 4.1, other than a patch tape after reporting
problems to expbug. (so we are really running 4.1+; but no "official"
releases, anyway).

snicoud@ATC.BOEING.COM (Stephen Nicoud) (10/20/89)

    Date: Wed, 18 Oct 89  15:19:26 MET
    From: Bjorn Victor <Victor@john-jameson.docs.uu.se.ARPANET>

    Lately, I've noticed on this list that people are discussing release 5
    and 6.  This finally makes me ask: Is release 5 or 6 released?  If so,
    when?  If not so, does anybody know when either is planned?

In a nutshell, this is my understanding of the various releases:

Release 4.1 is the latest released version for Explorers (I, II, II+).
Release 5 is for the microExplorers only.  It has already been released.
Release 6 is the new soon-to-be-released version for all Explorer family
hosts.

raghu@CS.UMD.EDU (Raghu Karinthi) (10/20/89)

   Here at University of Maryland, we have only version 4.1. I have heard of
  4.1+, but I think it is a version internal to TI

 Raghu

kumard@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Deepak Kumar) (10/20/89)

	Why don't the TI people read this group and answer???
	TI promised at IJCAI that Release 6 will be shipped latest
	by the end of september!! Well....

	Deepak.

kumard@cs.buffalo.EDU
kumard@sunybcs.BITNET
kumard@sunybcs.UUCP
Deepak Kumar, Dept. of CS, 226 Bell Hall, SUNY@Buffalo, NY 14260.

pf@islington-terrace.csc.ti.com (Paul Fuqua) (10/20/89)

    Date: Thursday, October 19, 1989  4:20pm (CDT)
    From: gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!sunybcs!gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU!kumard at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu  (Deepak Kumar)
    Subject: Re:  Explorer release > 4.1

    	Why don't the TI people read this group and answer???
    	TI promised at IJCAI that Release 6 will be shipped latest
    	by the end of september!! Well....

We do, or at least I do.  I'm not official, but I try to answer anything
I can.  According to my internal sources, Rel 6 started shipping last
week.  Below is my reply to the original question (I had mailed it
directly to him).

    Date: Thursday, October 19, 1989  9:03am (CDT)
    From: Bjorn Victor <Victor at john-jameson.docs.uu.se>
    Subject: Explorer release > 4.1

    Lately, I've noticed on this list that people are discussing release 5
    and 6.  This finally makes me ask: Is release 5 or 6 released?  If so,
    when?  If not so, does anybody know when either is planned?

Release 6 started shipping last week.

    Obviously, the Swedish branch of Texas Instruments has closed down their
    Explorer group, so I can't hope of answers from there.  The last I heard
    from them was that release 5 would be for microExplorers only, but I
    doubt it.  (We only have Explorer Is, I'm sorry to say).

Why "obviously"?  Anyway, release 5 was indeed microExplorer-only, as
was 4.0 (4.1 was the release for proper Explorers).  I think it was just
stabilisation of the microExplorer stuff;  many of the changes were
back-patched to 4.1 for regular Explorers.  Release 6.0 is a common
release for all platforms.

    Please tell me how things work in the US.  Have you received later
    releases than 4.1 for Explorer Is?  Do you get subsequent patches on a
    regular basis?  (The last patch tape I got was 3.2).  Do you get
    informed of existing patches, or do you call/write somewhere to get such
    info?

I really don't know how customers handle things, since I'm a former
developer who's nosy enough to band-transfer new releases directly from
Austin (they share our Ethernet).  The support hotline number used to be
(512) 250 6179 and may still be;  I don't know how to dial that from
Sweden.  You may have to call them for patches, but new releases should
be shipped to anyone with a support contract (or whatever it's called).

    "Please Santa, I want a CLOS implementation and an X11 server and a
    faster filesystem and a ...."

Release 6 includes CLOS, an X11 server, CLX, CLUE, CLCS, and other
things.  (The filesystem is still the same, though.)  They work pretty
well -- I've been using this band for some months and use X, CLOS, and
CLUE regularly.  Oh, by the way, these are not official announcements,
I'm just a developer-turned-user with a penchant for answering
questions.

Paul Fuqua                     pf@csc.ti.com
                               {smu,texsun,cs.utexas.edu,rice}!ti-csl!pf
Texas Instruments Computer Science Center
PO Box 655474 MS 238, Dallas, Texas 75265